AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Can anyone point me to a thread relating to ota antennas for my house? I did a search and can’t find any specifics relating to element type, distance, and the general discussions on this subject.

I just got a new Hitachi RPTV and a HD200 and want to bring in my ota signals better. I am using rabbit ears now and they work just OK. I lose the signals from time to time. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
661 Posts
First step - go to antennaweb.org, plug in your address, and pull up the list of available OTA channels in your area (primarily the DT ones). Each of these channels will have a color designation and a compass orientation from your address. Usually, most of the channels will come from the same direction and will be roughly the same compass orientation (for example, all channels of interest to me are 'yellow' and orientated at about 290 degrees). This color designation can be matched with color designations on antenna packages to pair you with an antenna right for your location. For 'yellow' channels, I can recommend the Zenith ZHDTV1 (the "Silver Sensor") indoor antenna (place as close to window as possible and point toward the broadcasting towers). This is a safe starting point just because it is a cheap (about $25 or so from buy.com or $35 from Radio Shack) starting point. A lot of people have also been recommending Channel Master antennae. You can do a Forum search on "Silver Sensor" or "Channel Master" to bring up more info on those in this Forum.

·
Registered
556 Posts
nnw

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the direction folks.

I put up a directional Yagi 120 over the weekend and it is working out great. I live on a large hill in a "Highland" area and get great reception. I can pull in a bunch of new stations from Worcester Ma. Hew Hampshire, and Rode Island. Because of the height, I only needed a 10 foot mast which made the job allot easier not having to fuss with guy wires and holes in my roof.

One interesting point I came across was with the grounding. It was getting dark out Saturday and we didn't finish running the wires so I temporarily ran the ground ( forecast was for a storm) to the static discharge block for my d*TV. When I turned on d*TV later, I had no signal on all 3 satellites. In the morning, I disconnected the ota ground and had my d*TV signals back. Does anyone know why this would happen? I mean it is only a ground and I can't see how it would disturb the d*TV signals. I put in a separate static discharge for the ota antenna and grounded it to the same place everything else goes to also and everything works fine.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Sounds like you have a ground loop.

All antenna/dish/coax grounds should be bonded to the main electrical power ground, per NEC.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mean I "had" a ground loop while I had the ground from the Yagi hooked up to the D* ground or do you mean I "might have" a ground loop now with the Yagi on it's own seperate system? I have no problems now with the current grounding, but I am concerned that something else might be wrong.

Currently all incoming leads are grounded per NEC codes. They include my phone service, cable, DirecTV, Electrical service panel, and now the OTA antenna. All ground to the main water service line coming into the house.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bacffin
... Currently all incoming leads are grounded per NEC codes. They include my phone service, cable, DirecTV, Electrical service panel, and now the OTA antenna. All ground to the main water service line coming into the house...
This should eliminate any potential for ground loop problems.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Please be more specific with topic titles, see my edit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Please be more specific with topic titles, see my edit.
Ken, I don't mean to be ignorant but I am new here and don't have any idea what you are talking about. Could you please advise? Where is the edit you are referring to?

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bacffin
Ken, I don't mean to be ignorant but I am new here and don't have any idea what you are talking about. Could you please advise? Where is the edit you are referring to?
I changed the topic title to be specific.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.