Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2 part question for OTA HD

1. What is the average reception range for OTA HD, I know there are variables involved, but the terrain is flat and no tall buildings within several miles of my home.

2.The station's transmit power must affect reception also. So to this end, here is the second part of my question, how are they related, (i.e. how many "whatevers" of transmit power equals roughly this many miles of reception) and where can station power specs be found.

Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump..........

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dirk1843
Hello all,

I have a 2 part question for OTA HD

1. What is the average reception range for OTA HD, I know there are variables involved, but the terrain is flat and no tall buildings within several miles of my home.

2.The station's transmit power must affect reception also. So to this end, here is the second part of my question, how are they related, (i.e. how many "whatevers" of transmit power equals roughly this many miles of reception) and where can station power specs be found.

Thanks in advance.......

I am no expert but from what I have read/heard here and there....

1. A general rule of thumb might be about 55 to 60miles for a UHF signal max BUT there are many variables that apply (including broadcast tower height; receiving antenna type/location/height; transmitting power; and terrain). If a station is transmitting on low power it might not reach out even 10 miles. You might want to call your station and ask the Engineer department that question. Also find out if their DT station is even broadcasting in HD too.

2. Some web references for this: First, go to www.ardman.net to do a search for station info (click on yellow banner for coverage maps). Select by clicking the DT, NEW, and APP boxes before searching. The link is not working tonight but has in the past. Results usually include distance and direction from the location you input.

Alternatively, visit either http://100kwatts.tmi.net/ or www.titantv.com to help identify what DT stations are in your area. 100Kwatts usually lists the power and if you click on the antenna icon it will give you a tower location and coverage map (B contour) for their DMA (which I think means distance wise if inside the blue circle you should be able to get the signal).

It is my understanding that these UHF RF signals are line-of-sight so once you go over the curvature of the earth (~55-60 miles) you lose it. TitanTV can give you some station info and even programming info too. Note that some enthusiasts do get signals at longer ranges; some do it as a hobby (DX'ing). Typically they are getting a bounced signal off the upper layers of the atmosphere and it is weather dependent. So don't count on it; it usually will be intermittent if its even doable.

Hope this helped...

Bruce

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Bruce.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.