AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just picked up an open box Sony KD-34HD1 TV w/tunner at a bagin price. He lives in Seattle about a mile from the major networks' TV towers, but is having trouble picking up the digital signal from one of the three towers using some off brand UHF/VHF indoor antenna advertised as a "digital antenna." Of course the one station he can't get is the local CBS affilate and he is a big fan of CSI!

The TV towers are all located at the top of a hill, while my friend's top floor apartment is at the base of the hill. I believe the problem is that an apartment building a few blocks up the hill is blocking LOS to the tower. The Sony tunner that came with the set has hardly gotten a whiff of the station. Twice while doing a scan it recognized the CBS station was present, but try as we might, we couldn't get a picture for even a second.

Unfortunately an outdoor antenna is out of the question, so does anyone one have any recommendations for indoor antennas to try? Preferably something that can be picked up locally so that it can be returned if it doesn't work. I would think that being so close to the towers there ought to be something that should work. But then again, being so close also means that there is about 20 to 30 degrees of seperation between the furthest left and furthest right towers. Perhaps it'll be difficult to get all three stations with the same antenna?

On another note, I'm a bit confused by the channel labeling. After doing a scan with the tunner, sometimes a station will appear under its UHF channel (say 38) while other times it'll show up as 4-2. Is this the very same signal that has just been mapped to be along side its analog counterpart?

BTW, anyone know if you can manually add digital channels with the KD-34HD1? Repeatedly running a scan to see if an anntenna position can pickup a station is a major pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Chris from Seattle

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.