AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dilemma: I recently picked up an RCA 38310 and am in television heaven. Of course, like everyone else, I NEED more HDTV channels. Living in Corpus Christi and knowing next to nothing about the inner-workings of antennas, I need some reasoned help.

Since none of my local stations are broadcasting in HDTV, I'm wondering how far local signals can carry and if there are any ways to get a souped-up (for lack of a better term) antenna to pull down Houston signals.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's a suggestion visit www.antennaweb.org or www.titantv.com . By placing your address it will show you the location of HD towers, and some antenna recommendations and where to point the antenna.

Hope this helps.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
The normal maximum range for over-the-air broadcast TV reception, digital or analog, is about 60 miles. This is due to the curvature of the earth.

You can increase this by increasing the height of your antenna, but it has to go pretty high, to overcome the curvature. Another method used in combination or alone, is to increase the size of the antenna. In general, higher & bigger is better.

Most (not all) DTV stations are UHF, but if your going to mount an antenna, consider an VHF/UHF model that will receive all your local analog stations, too. You will be amazed at how good they look, as opposed to what cable or satellite can offer.

Do a search here for ideas on different outdoor antennas. Channel Master, Winegard and Radio Shack all offer a wide selection of these products.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.