AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, someone can help provide me with some guidance. I have an 8-way multiswitch with an amplified VHF/UHF input (Channel Master 6228IFD). To this point, I haven't used the OTA input, but am thinking about using it now. My situation is that I will be adding an HD Sat receiver (Sont SAT-HD300) to one of the 8 outputs (the line for which is already run). The house has an existing roof mounted antenna that I've tested and think I can get pretty decent HD reception from it (at the very least I can try that first before spending anything additional).

Basically, since I will only need to send the OTA HD signal to one location, should I bother using the OTA input on the multiswitch? I ask this because my understanding is that I would then need to use diplexers on all of the multiswitch outputs, whether I want to utilize the OTA signal there or not. Since all 8 outputs are in use, it seems like a bit of hardware waste. I was wondering if there is a way I could instead combine the OTA signal with the output from the multiswitch that is going to the HD unit and then use a diplexer at the wall jack?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have successfully used a diplexor at the output from a multiswitch to add a CCTV signal to one location along with another diplexor at the other end.

No reason that I know of that OTA would be any different... same frequencies.

The biggest advantage as you pointed out is minimizing the hardware requirements and connections.

Of course it would be best to home run the antenna connection :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Try it! The cost is minimal! We have heard of alot of success and only a few failures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.