AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally mounting my RS long-range directional UHF antenna and connecting it, I was only able to lock on to

KNBC 4.1 in my area. Wouldn't you know it, I can recieve the one network digital broadcaster in my area that has little or no hi-def programming. Next step will be to try a Channel Master antenna and a preamp, but which one? Suggestions or help invited...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You have just about the excact line of site that I have. Right now I am only getting NBC and WB from mt. Wilson. Earlier this year I also got FOX and CBS, I think the season change had an affect on reception. I can get CBS, FOX, ABC, WB from San Diego better. If you have not seen it already, take a look here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013407.html

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have measured UHF signal levels from jobs in the Sunland/Tujunga area in the last couple of years in the course of home theater and basic satellite work for my dealer to keep on file. The range is from "quite hopeful" to "give it up".

The best areas in Sunland for UHF reception are the extreme southwest end, say around Day Street and Mc Vine or so. The signal level is good enough to get a lock on everything from Mt Wilson I believe.

It drops off SHARPLY when you go north from there, and I would say any location north of Foothill has really no chance of a reliable signal because of Mt Lukens (not a molehill at 5076')"shadow" directly in the way of Mt Wilson.

This is not a problem that can be solved with pre-amps or high gain antennas. One job in north Sunland showed a signal of -25, really nothing there to work with. My jobs with the best signals in Arcadia and Pasadena area show levels of +35. That is quite a swing. Sylmar and areas north of the 118 freeway in the east SF Valley have a similiar problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies/concerns. Neilneil, I live near Day Street at Woodward, not that far from the location you mention,in Southwest Sunland. So, you would think I would do betterthan just one digital station. That's why I think it wouldbe useful for me to try a better antenna. Glen_L, I haveread your post many times, and like you, can really not geta good lock on signals from Mt. Wilson, except for the afore-mentioned KNBC 4.1. But, at this time, I am willing to try anything to receive just a few more stations. Neilneil, I left you a private message. Maybe you can assist me, professionaly that is, since you are familiar with this area.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glenn, I rotated the antenna in a southeasterly direction, but was unsuccessful. Unfortuneatly,to complicate things, I have a huge oak tree in my backyard that really precludes me

from trying to aim an antenna in that direction. I will be

trimming some foliage and trying again for more signals from Mt. Wilson. I'm not sure what stations, or channel numbers, I should be trying to search for down in San Diego. I'll check your post to help determine this...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm in Sherman Oaks, 1 block south of Ventura near Woodman. What are my chances of successful OTA HD reception?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Can you get SD? I'm watching all channels except NBC from SD. Next month PBS will be broadcasting from SD, I hope I can pick it up.

------------------

-Glenn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.