AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the same situation as Philip, so I'm very interested in this topic. I've read plenty of reviews of the DST3000 (and the other DirecTV-capable boxes), but haven't seen much about the Samsung box. Can someone point me in the direction of some good reviews of the Samsung? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Scott...ther is an excellent review of the Samsung box which I found on www.google.com. Just key in the name and model number. The review is by Peter...It does not answer my question since I'm not sure if he compared it to the Tosh box, which handles SAT, but needs a dish.

Phil

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have had the Samsung since February (it is now $200 less, sigh).

I use an indoor amplied antenna (RCA 200)in a back room of my home and am about 15 miles from the towers, which are clustered together toward the front of my home (to the SEE). My house is surrounded by trees and the backyard (facing west) slopes up so I have multipath problems especially in windy conditions. There have been 2 or 3 nights since I got it when the multipath was bad enough that I gave up. The receiver performs excellently. When I place the antenna on top of the bookcase at the SW corner at the back of the house I can normally get all 3 UHF stations and sometimes also the VHF (NBC) station. If I want to watch LENO I usually move the antenna to the top of the tv and position the arms .

It has component and VGA output and both RCA and optical digital sound output. It does output s-video at the same time as component. I haven't tried both with VGA output.

Aside from some minor glitches, which may be fixed by now (the firmware can be upgraded, though I haven't figured that out yet), there are only two things I wish were different. It only has the ATSC receiver, so I can't combined NTSC OTA or cable with the digital broadcasts. Secondly, and IMO more importantly, is that switching output resolution means getting up and moving a slide switch on the back. I leave the output set at 1080i unless I am desperate for a cleaner 480i or 480p signal. The switching would be an issue if my system supported 720p; then ABC HD would mean moving the switch.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tombarry (edited 07-20-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Toshiba 56H80 TV wich is 16x9 and ONLY am interested in watching OTA broadcasts in SD and HD via the new antenna I just hooked up in the attic.

I get all 4 networks and PBS in the Philly area. However, on many of the stations, I do get the black bars on the sides...It appears that HD broadcasts do not have this problem, like Leno and PBS shows.

1. Is there any benefit to buying the Toshiba DST 3000 over the Samsung box? The Samsung I bought seems to do what I want..i.e., capture OTA digital signals in SD and HD.) More precisely, does the Tosh box mate better, IN ANY WAY with Tosh widescreen TVs?

I know that the Samsung box is very versitle with respect to it being used with many types of analog and digital sets in both 4:3 and 16:9, but I will only use the tuner box with just 1 Toshiba TV.

2. Reviews I've read note shortcomings with the DST 3000 and other boxes, but I'ev not read any shortcomings to the Samsung box except that it does not capture SAT signals, which I don't need.

3. I do want to output signals from the box in BOTH component video out to the TV AND S video in to my Replay TV. I know that Replay cannot record in HD, but with an S video connection in to Replay TV, it should record a much better picture then what I do record from Comcast cable...Correct? (The Samsung box has component video out AND S video out, and I understand that both outputs are active all the time.)

Thanks! Philip

·
Registered
340 Posts
Scott,

Since I won't have my unit for another few days yet, i'm not 100% sure on this, but I am about 99.9% sure that the RF THROUGHOUT, should really be labeled RF THROUGH/OUT, and is simply a passive bypass of the RF input, just like the one that all VCRs have.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Satterlee (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just finished installing my atic antenna from Radio Shak. It is 80" long and just made it between the roof supports, 1 foot off the attic floor...to allow enough room for the rectangular antenna piece.

I receive CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and PBS all very clear with 4 -5 bars on the meter. The PBS loop I receive seems to be made up of many different material, all in HD quality. It has the Alabama game from 1999, many nature scenes and gardens...INCREDIBLE Quality in thepic. better then my progressive scan DVD linked to my Tosh 56H80.

BUT how do I record all the shows that I'll want to do again real soon using REPLAY TV?

Replay does not record HD signals, but I have connected an S video out from the Samsung box to S video in of Replay. I've also connected analog from Samsung box to Replay to capture the audio.

How do I make sure Repaly will record all of the shows I am now recording from straight Comcast cable? I want Replay to record the signal from the Samsung box, not the weak pixalated pic from cable.

Thanks...Phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I'm still a little confused. Since I can receive HDTV through both OTA and Cable, I want both sources connected to the box. I was looking at a picture of the back of the box ( http://web-star.com/hdtvmagazine/images/rearpanel.jpg ) and now I'm not sure that both the cable and the antenna can be hooked up. Can this be done? BTW, does anyone know what the "RF THROUGHOUT" connection is for?

As far as the ATSC/NTSC issue goes, I'm probably going to split the cable and send one line to the Samsung box and the other line to my standard-issue AT&T cable box (and then on to the TV). There's only one HD channel on my cable, but it's a big one (CBS) that I can't get OTA yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.