AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung DTB-H260F tuner but am not at all happy with it. It has too many bugs.

Is there another tuner that is better? Better to me would be ROCK-solid performance (no bugs). It should also have good specifications. I will arbitrarily set an upper price at $500.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does the acronym STB stand for in the title of that thread?

There's a list of tuners in the thread but not one word regarding quality or performance.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/14315803

What does the acronym STB stand for in the title of that thread?

There's a list of tuners in the thread but not one word regarding quality or performance.

STB = set top box.

Just do a search under each box you're interested in and something should come up. Some are pretty old now, so you may have to search in the archives.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/14313828

I have a Samsung DTB-H260F tuner but am not at all happy with it. It has too many bugs.

Is there another tuner that is better? Better to me would be ROCK-solid performance (no bugs). It should also have good specifications. I will arbitrarily set an upper price at $500.

You need to ask in the local forums advice others in your area have had good luck with.

With tuners, one size does not fit all.

If you are out in the Country, you need a good sensitivity to capture weak signals and you usually do not have multipath bouncing around killing your Signal to Noise Ratio.

If you live in the city you might need one with good rejection to get a good Signal to Noise Ratio which is critical for Digital TV - more so than signal strength, because with digital - its either there or its not - unlike Analog TV.

Thus its better to ask in the local market section for what others have used in your circumstance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had one of the very early Samsungs, T-165 I believe and one of their later models and also had problems. I used a Directv tuner which included OTA without subscribing to satellite service for a while but it was designed to make such use inconvenient.

Finally, I got the Winegard RC-1010 at Campingworld. It was the best of the bunch with dependable reception on every channel and could pull in a weak UHF better than any of the others. I only discontinued it's use when I bought the Tivo Series 3.

The only "drawbacks" that I should mention is that HD is only available through component jacks, no HDMI which seems to work better with some sets and worse with others. Also, the "favorite" channel list was a bit odd in that if one direct enters a channel number (such as 14-1) it takes you off of your favorite list and the next time you change channels up or down you are going through all of the channels scanned at the time of set up. I just got to where I would not direct enter as I have only about 7 or 8 channels of interest here.

So, the Winegard is nothing fancy but I found it to be reliable and it is also moderately priced. I believe that Campingworld only carries the Winegard converter now, but I just did a quick "Google" and got a lot of results with Winegard RC-1010. It is worth considering.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a thread which compares and contrasts this excrutiatingly long list of tuners and perhaps recommends "the cream of the crop"?

I am after an OTA tuner to replace my crappy SAMSUNG DTB-H260F. I took the list and removed the satellite receivers and cable-only receivers but I still have about 20 of them. I live in the Los Angeles basin, so signal strength should not be an issue. Besides, I have an 18dB amplifier if it were necessary.

Is there a rock-solid unit that is better than the rest? HDMI output would be nice to have. I'd be willing pay as much as $500, give or take depending upon features/benefits.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
If you tell us what specific things about the Samsung are "crappy" to you, maybe someone can steer you towards units that might be better in those areas. Otherwise, making recommendations is kind of a "crap shoot" (sorry, couldn't resist!
). As far as I can remember, all the units that people have posted about here have had some kind of drawback or shortcoming, and there's nothing that stands out above the Samsung overall.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I have the Samsung in a problematic site and I predicted many months, maybe a year ago, that the digital converters would be better at reception - cause that's where the money was, pushed by the transition (gov't) I tried three models, Zenith, Digital Stream, and TVPal and they're better at multipath,(for this site). I await an HD stb equal or greater than the converters.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/15192974

If you tell us what specific things about the Samsung are "crappy" to you, maybe someone can steer you towards units that might be better in those areas. Otherwise, making recommendations is kind of a "crap shoot" (sorry, couldn't resist!
). As far as I can remember, all the units that people have posted about here have had some kind of drawback or shortcoming, and there's nothing that stands out above the Samsung overall.

Well, ...the HDMI in the SAMSUNG does not work well. It results in the unit needing to be turned on, then off, then back on again to get it to talk to the AV receiver.

If I switch from watching TV to my PS3, then switch back to TV, the tuner will need to be power cycled in order to function (another HDMI problem?).

It spontaneously adds channels that had previously been intentionally deleted.

It just decided to stop receiving channel 5 even though channel 5 is a strong channel.

I could go on.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You're sure the problem is with the Samsung and not with something else ? Did you test with something else ?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/15198672

Can anyone offer a specific tuner that is generally acknowledged as superior?

Here is a cropped list of currently available Digital TV tuners (no DVR's, no pro video units):

Available Now:

· Centronics ZAT502 HD $70 ATSC, Clear QAM

· Samsung DTB-H260F $179 ATSC, Clear QAM

· Winegard RC-1010 $190 ATSC

· Coby DTV-140 $139 ATSC

· Tivax LX1000 $90 ATSC

· AV Tool ATSC-100 $199 / Choice Select CHO4006 $239 ATSC (analog audio only; no DD output)

· Grandtec TUN-5000 $249 ATSC (analog audio only; no DD output)

· KWORLD SA290-Q LE $100 ATSC, Clear QAM (analog audio only; no DD output)

As noted, the Samsung is generally considered the best. I suggest the Winegard after that, but it doesn't have HDMI.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15198741

You're sure the problem is with the Samsung and not with something else ? Did you test with something else ?

As stated above, when the antenna is plugged directly into the TV I get 85% signal strength and good reception of channel 5. When I plug the antenna into the SAMSUNG channel 5 drops out (no pictture or audio) and the box tells me channel five is a weak or non-existant signal.

I thought that was clear. Am I not answering or am I misunderstanding your question?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15199035

Here is a cropped list of currently available Digital TV tuners:

Available Now:

· Centronics ZAT502 HD $70 ATSC, Clear QAM

· Samsung DTB-H260F $179 ATSC, Clear QAM

· Winegard RC-1010 $190 ATSC

· Coby DTV-140 $139 ATSC

· Tivax LX1000 $90 ATSC

· AV Tool ATSC-100 $199 / Choice Select CHO4006 $239 ATSC (analog audio only; no DD output)

· Grandtec TUN-5000 $249 ATSC (analog audio only; no DD output)

· KWORLD SA290-Q LE $100 ATSC, Clear QAM (analog audio only; no DD output)

As noted, the Samsung is generally considered the best. I personally would try the Winegard after that.

I've started reviewing the list, including the ones you posted. The fiorst one I checked was the Winegard RC-1010. It only provides analog TV output. It is probably not a digital TV tuner so much as a digital to analog converter box. I am not even sure it outputs a 16:9 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I think I am finding is that no one really sells a decent TV tuner unit. They always come bundled into a DVR or some other unit that they think is "value added". The TIVO's are an example. They have the tuner(s) but bundle it into a video recorder. I don't want all the complexity of all that added crap.

Honestly, I think all AV receivers should come with a digital TV tuner built in. What the heck is the sense of having a home theater "receiver" that doesn't actually receive?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The Winegard RC1010 outputs through both composite AND component (720p and 1080i capable) outputs.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...OD=OBO-RC-1010

And yes - I have a small problem with the Samsung's HDMI output on my TV (an Olevia 232T) - if I try to output in 1080i with HDMI, I get blue people and other color issues. However - it works FINE at 1080i over component outputs. 720p output is fine with either output.

I have another device that does just fine with the 1080i HDMI input on the TV.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/15199039

As stated above, when the antenna is plugged directly into the TV I get 85% signal strength and good reception of channel 5. When I plug the antenna into the SAMSUNG channel 5 drops out (no pictture or audio) and the box tells me channel five is a weak or non-existant signal.

It could be the station's signal has changed in a way that affects some tuners but not others. I've seen occasional reports of specific brands of tuners behaving badly with specific stations, until someone reported it to the station engineers who fixed the problem. A couple of years ago, I used an Accurian tuner from Radio Shack, which locked up on the FOX station in Columbia SC for a while.

Have you tried looking/asking on the New York OTA thread in the Local HDTV Info & Reception forum to see if anyone else has had a problem with that station, and reported it to the station engineers?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/15199065

I've started reviewing the list, including the ones you posted. The fiorst one I checked was the Winegard RC-1010. It only provides analog TV output. It is probably not a digital TV tuner so much as a digital to analog converter box. I am not even sure it outputs a 16:9 aspect ratio.

All the units listed have HD output; component video at a minimum. Only some have Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/15199199

It could be the station's signal has changed in a way that affects some tuners but not others. I've seen occasional reports of specific brands of tuners behaving badly with specific stations, until someone reported it to the station engineers who fixed the problem. A couple of years ago, I used an Accurian tuner from Radio Shack, which locked up on the FOX station in Columbia SC for a while.

Have you tried looking/asking on the New York OTA thread in the Local HDTV Info & Reception forum to see if anyone else has had a problem with that station, and reported it to the station engineers?

I can confirm that this happens with the Olevia 537h inbuilt tuner too and and with FOX 5.x only (NY market). Sometimes the rescan doesn't see FOX 5.x although the signal is quite strong. The only solution I have found so far is that I rescan until the TV locks in to FOX 5.1/5.2. This problem doesn't happen with the Hisense tuner nor with any of the CECB. I am suprised that there can be this type of issues too. I was under the impression that my TV had a flaky tuner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts