AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi SR-HD5 that I bought in 2001. I get marginal OTA HD reception. Some channels work fine, others not at all. I have tried different antennas, orientations, etc. and cannot seem to improve reception.

DirecTV HD reception works perfectly.

My question: would a new 2003-vintage HDTV tuner box be significantly better at tuning the OTA channels?

Some posts I have read indicate that a lot of progress has been made.

If so, which box would be the best tuner for working with weak signals?

Thanks,

- jkh

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mitsubishi SR-HD4

I have had this box for over 2 years now. It has been very reliable with zero problems. Newer ones are not a 'lot better'. With a top UHF antenna, such as Televes-75, you will get great reception up to 60 miles. A pre-amp is needed with a rotator as well.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The next generation STB in 6 mos to a year will have the Lynx and/or Casper technology that will greatly improve reception in multipath areas. Probably waiting for this will improve reception mor than the small improvements available now.

Rick R

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
My 2-year-old Zenith DTV 1080 pulls in Dayton, OH just as well as my less-than-a-year old Samsung T-151. I'm in northern Kentucky. No insurmountable problems with either unit.. I've been thrilled with both units. For me, it's all in the antenna. The big difference has been in the stations, themselves. As each one goes up in height or up in power, they come in all the better. No complaints.

Doc

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I just bought a Zenith HD-SAT520, and it receives the two 'marginal' local DTV channels much better than either my RCA DTC-100 or my HiPix DTV-200.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Isn't the Mits. SRHD-5 a Hughes E-86 Clone??

While your results may vary, my experience with Hughes clones (almost 2 years with a Toshiba DST-3000 and a frustrating weekend with an E-86) vs current Zenith/Sony model indicates vast improvement.

In may particular location, about 30 miles from the transmitters with a large RS roof antenna which gave nice analog reception, the Hughes boxes would not produce a reliable HD picture from the 2 local stations doing HD in my area. The other 7 available stations only do SD, and of them only 2 were really solid.

Tried both a Zenith 420 ota-only model and my current Sony HD-200 with the same antenna and all but one of the local digital channels come in nice and solid with no pixilatting or freezeups and no audio synch problems. The one channel that was bad turned out to be having encoder problems according to my phone call to the station engineer and has since come in quite well.

There are some power lines about half a mile from my antenna in the direction of the braodcast stations, and a not-too-busy airport 3 miles away, which may be causing some multipath problems that the Sony handles better than the Hughes models did. Signal strenght meter readings are only a little higher on the Sony.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a first generation Panasonic HD box that received about 3 OTA channels, I recently got a Samsung 160 and with the same setup using a Zenith SilverSensor internal antenna, I got double the number of stations. All moot now as I have a huge roofmount antenna installed.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve S
Isn't the Mits. SRHD-5 a Hughes E-86 Clone??
Yes, see the HDTV STB Synopsis for details.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I had a noticeable reception improvement when going from the MyHD MDP-100 to the MDP-120. The MDP-100 uses a NX2000 demodulator, and the MDP-120 uses the NX2002. It locks weaker signals better, and seems to handle interference from planes better (I'm in a flight path).

The MDP-100 reception was slightly better than my old RCA DTC-100.

It would be really interesting to see a scientific test of the different receivers under different conditions.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhirschtick
...which box would be the best tuner for working with weak signals?
Zenith.

I have owned Panasonic, Hughes E86 (yours is a clone of the E86) and Samsung TS160. Panasonic was worst, E86 was not much better. The Samsung works much better for me than the other two boxes. I have severe multipath problems and several low power digital stations.

However, I have taken my Samsung box to a friend's house and we did an A/B comparision with his Zenith, using the same antenna signal split to both boxes. The Zenith was superior, hands down.

If you can't get decent reception with a good outdoor OTA antenna using your existing STB, I'm almost certain you could do better with one of Zenith/LG clone STBs.

Buy one locally from a store with a no-hassle return policy. If there's no improvement in reception, take it back for a full refund. If the new box works better, keep it and sell your old one on eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tji,

I am a new mdp-100 owner and i have a re-occuring problem where the signal strength periodically goes to 0%. A friend suggested it was an airplane problem, and i am near an airport, but this is regular every 3-8 seconds it seems. it drops a few frames, then is fine. The problem is indepenent of channel. I took my pc and antenna far from the airport, close to the transmitters to test, and it still has this problem. Has anyone heard of this problem?

- tresuiri

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.