AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds bogus to me, but it's is too far away to go see for myself. A friend of mine claims he is using a satellite dish with a Ku LNB to pull in distant over the air HD transmissions.

I have challenged him as to whether he is actually getting satellite programming & he assures me that no, he is getting the UHF band signals.

Has anyone heard of this or done it? If you have, could you provide details?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Not possible...

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman53 /forum/post/16989017

This sounds bogus to me, but it's is too far away to go see for myself. A friend of mine claims he is using a satellite dish with a Ku LNB to pull in distant over the air HD transmissions.

I have challenged him as to whether he is actually getting satellite programming & he assures me that no, he is getting the UHF band signals.

Has anyone heard of this or done it? If you have, could you provide details?

Thanks!

A satellite dish could be used as an OTA antenna providing the feed was modified. The gain of the antenna would depend on the desired frequencies to be received relative to the diameter of the dish. As far as your friend receiving UHF signals with a KU feed-horn and Ku LNB, no way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Years ago I had a DirectTV dish that had a TV antenna built in. It had fine wire elements embedded in the material of the dish. You could hook up a coax to the dish & recieve OTA with it. It didn't have much gain but close stations would work. Your friend might have one of these type of dishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts