AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live between Chicago and Milwaukee and I need a waiver from both cities to get the HD CBS feed thru DirecTV. It wouldn't cost any extra with my subscription package so I figure I may as well have it. I wouldn't worry too much about it , but with my setup I cannot get CBS OTA from either city. I cannot get HD CBS out of Chicago because I have a UHF Channelmaster antenna and they are sending their HD out VHF. I guess the solution there is to put up a new antenna but I'd rather not. And now heres the strange part, I point the antenna at Milwaukee for their WDJT HD CBS channel which is UHF and even though the signal meter shows normal, there is no picture. The WDJT channel that is not HD comes in fine on 58, but switch to 58-1 and no pic with a normal signal. So just for kicks, I figured I'd try to switch to 2-1 on the Zenith which is the Chicago station and aim the antenna at Milwaukee and the picture comes in, but has frequent breakups because its 57 miles away versus only 37 for Chicago. Does this make any sense ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
HD OTA on VHF? Unheard of. Let me know what you find out after you visit antennaweb.org.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Incaico
HD OTA on VHF? Unheard of.
You should have done some research before making this comment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, unless there is a need to watch WMVS - PBS (10-1) which is assigned channel 8 (whoa!), when he can watch 3 other PBS stations (2 out of Chicago and 1 out of Milwaukee) then there is no need for him to worry about VHF. My understanding of how 8VSB works, it is meant to be transmitted on UHF. I guess you learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
HD OTA on VHF? Unheard of. Let me know what you find out after you visit antennaweb.org.
Where do you think I found out the station was on 1-1? You obviously did not read the first post, we are talking about CBS out of Milwaukee not PBS

BTW please do not list your gear in your sig, you obviously missed that little note when you were filling it in.

Jordan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jordan,

Thanks for the reply, tuned in to 1-1 and it comes in fine. I missed the Super Bowl in HD, but now I have all my channels. Thank You !

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
My understanding of how 8VSB works, it is meant to be transmitted on UHF.
Not strictly true. Many areas have VHF digital stations, although most are on UHF.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, CBS HD out of Chicago is VHF so some of you may want to check your info again. Thats what my thread is about. Go to antennaweb and put in a zip from Chicago and see for yourself. Or use mine 60087.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
NBC in Atlanta has channel 10 assigned for their DTV broadcast and channel 11 for their analog broadcast. I don't understand why the FCC assigned them a VHF channel for DTV, but they did. By the way my cable company broadcasts HD using 8-VSB!

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.