AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time now, I've had the Radio Shack 190XR mounted to a 10ft. mast with a CM 7777 preamp. The antenna was pointing to Philly. I only received CBS and ABC. I got a 20 strength on FOX but that's not enough for A/V. PBS came in at 40 but with severe multipath. So two weeks ago, I turn the antenna to Baltimore and pick up CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX, all in the mid to high 80's. PBS ranges from 30 to 52 depending on the time of day. 8:00pm-10:00pm seems to be the best time. So I'm happy..for a while. See, I had already ordered a CM 4228 8 bay bow-tie. This was the one to get me channels, or was it? So today I decided to put it up.

I pulled the 190XR down with no damage. I added another 5ft. section of mast to make up for the height of the 4228 and mount it back up. Sounds simple but took time and patience since it was all done on a very steep roof.

I start with Philly. Ugh, nothing. I get my wife to watch the signal meter while I tweak. I dial in CBS with an 88. I check ABC and the I get 72. NBC, FOX and PBS do not register. Gotta be that hill in my line of sight. I do some more tweaking and still nothing.

So back to Baltimore. I start with CBS again since it's the strongest. I check ABC and nothing. Tweak some more and get ABC. But no FOX, no NBC no PBS. More tweaking results in nothing. Damn. I'm not happy now. What could it be? I keep on tweaking and I'll be darned but I get only ABC and CBS out of Baltimore.

So back up goes the 190XR. Bang, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX all in the mid to high 80's with PBS in the 40's.

What a wasted day. Well, not really. Now I can I can sit back and enjoy what I have knowing that it's the best it will get for some time. Anyone within an hour of Newark want to buy a 4228?

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is surprising. I have the same CM antenna and et decent reception (Everything except NBC). I had a professional installer mount it and we used CBS 26 as the main channel to focus in on.

I wonder if I had a different antenna if I could pick up NBC...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Joe,

That is a real bummer on the 4228. I have its little brother, the four bay 4221 bowtie and I've achieved satisfactory results on analog stations in the open plains and swamplands of Northwest Louisiana. We don't have any digital stations yet, but it seems to keeping multipath to a minimum if you have it aimed right.

How can we help you to get a better signal? Let's see, you can use www.titantv.com to get a ballpark azimuth to the desired stations. This website http://bsexton.com/cgi-bin/tv.cgi will get you a more accurate direction to the desired stations, but you'll have to correct for magnetic variation (call a small local airport to find this out). If you have tried these steps already, I apologize.

What is really killing you is multipath. And hills and distance. And the fact that your local cable company doesn't just carry the DTV signal, but that's another story. You want to get a highly directional antenna that will reject multipath and zero in on your strongest signal. In some cases a reflected signal will have be the strongest one for one station even though all the other stations work fine just a few degrees off. You may wish to bring out the big guns and buy/borrow a channelmaster 4248 yagi antenna. This beast is one of the best domestic antennae for picking up distant stations in severe multipath. Its narrow bandwidth and high gain should be just the thing to deal with your adverse terrain.

Best of luck to you and don't get yourself killed on the roof! If at the end of the day you still can't get PBS, you can sleep easier knowing that you have at least four more OTA channels than those of us in the hinterlands of technological progress.

Jim Graham

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can't understand it. I have a CM 7775 pre amp and a 4228 and I am picking up 65 miles cbs, nbc, pbs, abc, at a 90 with a HD-100. Chrystal perfect picture. I am using a rotor but have it aimed at Seattle.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In My Humble Opinion, an antenna rotator is an absolute must. The more powerful antennas are more directional, so that aiming is more critical. Also multipath effects could mean that the optimum aiming direction is not directly at the broadcast tower. Many factors such as weather, terrain and leaves on trees affect the ideal aiming direction.

Plus, if the rotator (rotor?) saves you a couple of trips up on the roof, it's safer.

P.S. Note correct use above of both "effect" and "affect." No extra charge for English lesson.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is quite perplexing. I really wanted the 4228 to work. It sure is not an exact science. Baltimore is about 60 miles away where as Philly is 40. I feel if I didn't have a large hill of iron ore in my line of sight to Philly, I'd bet picking them up with no probelm. Oh well. That's the nature of the beast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.