AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for the Infocus SP8602 release, I'm considering other DLP's around the 5k mark and there doesn't seem to be too many. I've looked at the IN83 and a used Marantz. Are there any others I might consider for my room.

The PJ will be 14ft away from a Dalite106" HP screen, in a totally light controlled room.I'd like to stick with a DLP but right now it's all research at this point.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions as half the fun is in the search and speculation!

Warren

· Registered
12,276 Posts
In the plus/minus $5k range, there are the Infocus IN83, Planar PD8130 and PD8150, BenQ has the W20000, Optoma HD8200, Marantz VP15S1, and bunches of used ones.

There are some that go down below $3k, and many others than are well about $6500k, but those are about it for right now.

· Registered
704 Posts
does not really sound like you are ready to buy quite yet, but there is an planar 8150 up on videogon under your budget - looks like a great deal. I sort of hope it sells soon as it is over my budget, but still find myself thinking about it...

what did you think about the in83 vs. the marantz?

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Placement on the IN83 will be a problem which is why I'm holding on for the SP8620 release and reviews. I've like the Marantz VP15S1 and also the Planar 8150, and thanks for the videogon tip btw, as I thought this was out of my price range. Buying a used unit is a possibility but it's chancy unless it's from a dealer or a well known private party, as guarantees and/or warranties are important when you spend your hard earned cash.

Thanks for the other options, and I'll look into them. This will be my last PJ so I'm going to make sure it's a good fit...the audio side is another story!. Thanks

Warren

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This then would be an excellent place for IF to price the new PJ!...knock off a few frills, give us a bright, high contrast, solid built pj, with good optics...I don't care how it looks, as long as it puts out. Although, the Marantz is also in the running as of now too..It's just gonna be for movies, so I'll be patient for another week, although my pocket is starting to heat up!

· Banned
3,550 Posts
A Sony VPL-60, Sony VPL-50, or DLP (lower iris) and can get you similar performance to the LCOS for black levels. The difference is how the technology implements contrast. A 2.8 gain High Power would get you some excellent contrast and black levels and would probably be your best choice in a well light controlled room. It does help if the projector throw distance is greater for the High Power screens typically greater than around 14ft so you may consider something else for a shorter thow. I would say that SXRD might be a good choice for a limited throw/distance but I would have a look at one properly setup and see what you think. It's more difficult to setup SXRD by the way so if you wanted something more simple a JVC might be your better option but there are things to also consider there as well. Keep us posted.

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc /forum/post/16860454

Hi Chewbacco,

With your setup of a 106" HP I just have to ask why you are after a bright DLP? I would go for a new JVC if I were you and get great CR and black levels....just curious....

I hear what you're saying..I got a HP screen due to my Samung in which the bulb faithfully died at 800 hrs. I like DLP's, my 4805 is still going. I really want a bright image as Sammy would fade quickly, although it was a great pix when the bulb was new!. I've used the ftL calculator on Pj Central and most every DLP I considered would fry my eyes out (57-100+) but I thought with a filter I could tone it down. I, like most everyone, like the "POP" but I really don't want the "KAPOW". My screen and distance are set, so finding the right PJ in my price range is my quest AND, since I only watch movies for a few hours Fri-Sun, the higher ftL may not be so bad for my eyes...just my black level...probably more than you wanted to know huh?...

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/16861900

Basically there is a big gap in DLP's in that general price range. Most still fetch premium pricing, but hopefully as the competing formats.

This is what I'm finding out too as I research my choices, which is why the Marantz VP15S1 may be my final choice. I'll wait a week for Infocus and consider the JVC RS10 or 20...I've entered the world of compromise!!

· Registered
4,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/16861989

This is what I'm finding out too as I research my choices, which is why the Marantz VP15S1 may be my final choice. I'll wait a week for Infocus and consider the JVC RS10 or 20...I've entered the world of compromise!!

Any idea how the Marantz VP15S1 compares to the Planar 8150?

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/16862739

They both would make a good fit, I've read the Marantz throws a little sharper image, but that is subjective I'm sure. Both now are on my list...used..as my gut is telling me the SP8602 will be out of my range new...

· Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/16862739

As someone who has had about everything, the Planar kills the Marantz. The VP11S2 is more on par with the Planar really (though a heck of a lot more expensive).

My 2 cents obviously.

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/16865322

As someone who has had about everything, the Planar kills the Marantz. The VP11S2 is more on par with the Planar really (though a heck of a lot more expensive).

My 2 cents obviously.

Those two pennies carry a lot of weight!..Thanks, as specs are only a small part of the whole.

I saw and RS20/750 and a Sony VPL60 today at the same high end AV shop and I seriously considered just buying another bulb for my Sammy, they looked that bad...it makes decisions about a new pj even more difficult, as I'll never be able to view the pj's I'm considering. So keep tossing those cents in it's appreciated.

· Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc /forum/post/16860454

Hi Chewbacco,

With your setup of a 106" HP I just have to ask why you are after a bright DLP? I would go for a new JVC if I were you and get great CR and black levels....just curious....

I completely agree. I have never viewed an HP screen that had satisfactory blacks with a DLP. That includes the C3X1080.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.