AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade from my Tosh 5109. The consensus here seems to be that the Sage deinterlacing chip found in the RP-56 is the highest performer in that regard, though the RP-91 comes pretty close with its implementation of the Genesis chip.

Picture quality and lack of scaling artifacts are my primary objective for the new player, but I would consider paying more if there are other players with the same Sage chip that "considerably" outperform the RP-56 in other important areas, like audio quality, menu speed & friendliness or whatever, that might make them more worthwhile to me in my decision.

I'm still not clear if there are other players with this chip, however. Would much appreciate to know the brand & model if there are.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Some pretty expensive players in there. It was hard to get to pricing on all of them, but I did see a Kenwood DV-503 with a price rance of $200-250 with the Sage Chip. Are there any opinions from anyone who thinks it might be a better purchase than the RP-56? I need some help here please.

Or, in the price range of under $450 is there simply not another Sage equipped player that significantly improves upon any area of performance over what the RP-56 delivers, and not worth the extra dollars?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RonF
OK. Some pretty expensive players in there. It was hard to get to pricing on all of them, but I did see a Kenwood DV-503 with a price rance of $200-250 with the Sage Chip. Are there any opinions from anyone who thinks it might be a better purchase than the RP-56? I need some help here please.

Or, in the price range of under $450 is there simply not another Sage equipped player that significantly improves upon any area of performance over what the RP-56 delivers, and not worth the extra dollars?
I noticed that the Skyworth 1050 was not in the list, probably because they didn't license the DCDi logo.

The Skyworth has more features than the Panasonic, but has a long list of problems, some of which may be academic, depending on what you are using it for. (PAL seems much more problematic than NTSC, for example.)

The Skyworth FAQ on this board has a great deal of info.

FWIW, I'm a happy Skyworth owner. I have used it so far only to play Region 1 NTSC discs, and have had few, if any, problems. (My main objection is its slow response to remote commands under certain circumstances.) But it gives me a killer picture, which is my most important criterion.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Actually that Kenwood DV-503 is only an interlaced player, not progressive scan. In the Kenwood line, only the Sovereign DV-5700 and DV-5900M are progressive players that use the Sage chips. The DV-5700 retails for about $1500 and the DV-5900M for about $1800.00. So far, I think the RP56 and maybe the Samsung players are the cheapest available with the Sage chips. If I had to choose between those two, I'd probably go with the Panasonic RP56.:)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it improve on RP-56 in any substantial way for under $450?

I know the RP-56 will suffer in comparison to more expensive players in the audio performance, but is the sound at at least "good" rating? I don't plan on using it for CD playing & know that it does'nt have DVD Audio.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Mitsubishi web page above doesn't seem to mention price or what kind of chip. Is it the Sage, under $450 for the DD 4020, and a significant improvement anywhere over the RP-56?

I would please still like to hear someone say that the sound quality of RP-56 is at least "good" if not "very good" or "great" as with higher ended players for DVD movie watching only.

Thanks much

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.