AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have the go-ahead on building a pseudo-home-theater in our family room as we do some remodeling. One of the requirements of the design is that we are able to sit together without dividers. So that means no theater seats, but couches/loveseats are perfect.

Requirements:
  • Sit together without separation (no arms between seats that block cuddling)
  • Independent back and legrest controls (I HATE recliners that lay me down just to get my feet up)
  • Power headrest tilt (the room will have a TV for daytime viewing at normal height as well as a projection screen)
  • Lumbar controls would be nice, but not required

So far, the only option I've found that meets all requirements is the La-Z-Boy PowerReclineXR series:
http://www.la-z-boy.com/b/_/N-13st4jdZ15b7lck?Nrpp=20&viewAll=true

I can't figure out which other systems have independent back/legrest controls by looking at the online seating companies. I need some alternatives to consider.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Make sure you can actually sample the couch you're ordering from La-z-boy in store before ordering. I have a La-z-boy couch in my basement, and it was also marketed as PowerReclineXR. It does not have independent control for feet and back. It does have independent lumbar and head support. This was a few year ago, so maybe by now they corrected their marketing, but seeing it in person shouldn't be a big deal (hopefully).

Also, if you end up getting the la-z-boy, I'd definitely get the warranty. I've already had to replace 3 failed motors and a cushion had to be replaced b/c the stitching was coming apart on one section. Other than that and the insanely high price, the couch is great.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you can actually sample the couch you're ordering from La-z-boy in store before ordering. I have a La-z-boy couch in my basement, and it was also marketed as PowerReclineXR. It does not have independent control for feet and back. It does have independent lumbar and head support. This was a few year ago, so maybe by now they corrected their marketing, but seeing it in person shouldn't be a big deal (hopefully).

Also, if you end up getting the la-z-boy, I'd definitely get the warranty. I've already had to replace 3 failed motors and a cushion had to be replaced b/c the stitching was coming apart on one section. Other than that and the insanely high price, the couch is great.
How long have you had it? Is that 5+ years of wear and tear or less?

Thanks for the tips, I see I'm actually looking specifically at the PowerreclineXRw+ (http://www.la-z-boy.com/content/CustomizeIt/power-options).

I'm still hoping someone has more manufacturers for me to consider.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How long have you had it? Is that 5+ years of wear and tear or less?

Thanks for the tips, I see I'm actually looking specifically at the PowerreclineXRw+ (http://www.la-z-boy.com/content/CustomizeIt/power-options).

I'm still hoping someone has more manufacturers for me to consider.
Those repairs were in the first 3 years. I think the stitching would have been fully covered under the standard warranty, but the electrical wouldn't be covered (or at least fully covered, I may have had to pay for labor). With the warranty that I added on, everything was covered 100%.

When we were shopping, we also saw some power reclining sofas at Macy's furniture. They were probably half the price of La-z-boy. I don't remember if they had individual leg and back motors. But if you have a Macy's furniture store near you, I'd suggest going there and seeing their inventory.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Is there any way you can get to a La-z-boy showroom and test drive? I dropped into one last week checking out options and was looking for the same features you are . I was shocked at how much wiggle the mechanism in many of their recliners had . It made them feel cheap and I really questioned how they can charge as much as they do . It may be that they were floor models and have been abused for quite a while , but I'm looking elsewhere .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any way you can get to a La-z-boy showroom and test drive? I dropped into one last week checking out options and was looking for the same features you are . I was shocked at how much wiggle the mechanism in many of their recliners had . It made them feel cheap and I really questioned how they can charge as much as they do . It may be that they were floor models and have been abused for quite a while , but I'm looking elsewhere .
The one I tried a back in January in Allentown, PA was not too wiggly. It seemed pretty good.

Have you found any other options? I need to make a decision by September/October and still haven't found anything else that checks the boxes.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The one I tried a back in January in Allentown, PA was not too wiggly. It seemed pretty good.

Have you found any other options? I need to make a decision by September/October and still haven't found anything else that checks the boxes.
No , haven't really looked since . Hopefully it was just that the floor models were worn out , or they just have trouble with my "husky" figure , but honestly , the mechanism in the recliners at Ashley seemed much sturdier at a fraction of the price . I'm considering taking my friends zero gravity massage chair and just getting rid of my couch , most of my viewing is by myself anyway .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go to Amazon and put Coaster Gus 501677 in the search engine (I can't post links as I have a low post count). We used to have a double lazyboy but we wanted more room and the ability to lay down, just got it and while it's not perfect we're pretty confident it's going to work out great. It can be a bit snug but we had another couple over last night and we all fit fine, not to mention it can sleep two if needed for guests.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update: While doing some shopping last weekend, we happened to stop by a local furniture store where they had the Flexsteel Catalina leather power reclining loveseat with power headrests (http://www.flexsteel.com/product/catalina-3900-60h).

I was quite surprised by this one - what I really liked was that the footrest was 90% up before it started reclining me, so I don't have to stare at the ceiling. And then the motorized headrest moved me forward so I could look straight ahead.

I'm going to look a bit more, but right now it's a contender.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Do you have a Costco where you are? The Costco where I am (Torrance, CA) has a chocolate brown leather couch - top grain where you sit and vinyl match- with dual powered recliners for $799. Simply an amazing deal if they have them in your area. I am a little bummed as I just bought a couch for the same price without the power recline. The couch has powered head rests too. Something to consider if available in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a Costco where you are? The Costco where I am (Torrance, CA) has a chocolate brown leather couch - top grain where you sit and vinyl match- with dual powered recliners for $799. Simply an amazing deal if they have them in your area. I am a little bummed as I just bought a couch for the same price without the power recline. The couch has powered head rests too. Something to consider if available in your area.
Saw that on SD a few weeks ago. Before I could recline to see whether I liked it, my wife nixed it because her feet didn't touch the floor.

Every time something looks like an option, some little thing kills it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts