AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd contribute some more to the "LT150 forum" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

This weekend I was at a sci-fi con, and had the opportunity of seeing some of my own material on two projectors: Plus UP1100 (non-thumpered of course) and a Proxima 9320. The Proxima was being fed by my Skyworth usiong RGBHV, and my Radeon HTPC, while the UP1100 was using a Pioneer 626 through composite (no s-video unfortunately).

I can't really post much on these two as a convention is not exactly an environment where tweaking is easily done - nor wanted. I can comment on some things though. The scaler in the Proxima is definetly better than the LT150. No scaling artifacting of the same type I saw on the LT150 existed. Color/contrast is still better on the LT150 though. The Proxima being a 3-chip LCD it had no rainbows of course.

The UP1100 was not an experience I particularly enjoyed. I noticed rainbows slightly more than the LT150. Color/contrast just looked plain washed out. Worst however was the deinterlacer/scaler. The resulting picture was awash with aliasing artifacts.

And so I returned home secure in the knowledge that my 3.3lbs LT150 kicked the ass of both a 3-chip LCD and a UP1100. If someone gave either of those to me for free I'd just sell them and use the profit for LT150 lamps. God I love my projector!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

/frode

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Frode, can you post the specs of your Radeon HTPC that works well with the LT150?

ie, type of the Radeon card, processor type and speed, software installed, etc etc?

Due to the fact that the LT150 does not take anamorphic progressive PAL from the Skyworth I'll have to go the HTPC route.

TIA

w

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure wojtek. My box is a bit overkill so you can just ignore the processor stuff:

2xPIII 866

Asus P3C-D motherboard

384MB RAM

Radeon 32MB SDR

SBLive 5.1 using digital out

Creative 6x DVD-ROM

Plextor 12x10x32x CD-RW

Abit HotRod100 IDE raid controller

2xIBM 45GB 75GXP harddrives

Software - ATI player 4.1. DVDSubber build 370. Radeon driver 7089 for win98se, 3102 for win2k.

I'm planning on getting a new dedicated box for the LT150. For that I'm just getting the cheapest everything, except I'll be sticking with the Creative soundcard as I know that works with digital I/O in both win2k and 98se, and I'll be getting a Radeon VE for the video card. Other components are a Duron 750, abit motherboard, 128MB RAM and a Qantum "quiet drive" 30GB HD. DVD drive will be the cheapest crackable one I can get.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree with Mark you have to use an HTPC (or direct RGB at 720p or 1080i) on the LT100. That being said it can have a great image. A friend of mine has a lt150 coming (should be here by tommorrow). We will give it a good comparison with my Thumperized and Gamma corrected LT100. I am curious how NEC is doing with the LT150 in terms of contrast and color (gamma, etc).

It would be nice to get some digital camera pics on the same image and screen.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Questions...

Does the ATI DVD Player support DD and/or DTS via the Digital Out on the SB Live card? I've tried PowerDVD and WinDVD and it's been really difficult to get my SB Live do even Dolby Digital!

Am I missing something?

Here's my spec list:

P4 1.5GHz

256MB RAM

Ati AIW Radeon

Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1 Platinum

JoseQ

------------------
http://www.speedhost.com
a href= http://www.emuviews.com

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Frode,

What is a "crackable" DVD drive?

thanks

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
159 Posts
Frode,

I'd be very interested in the source of the crackable DVD drive and any tips you may have on how to crack it. By crackable, I assume you mean one whose region can be changed an unlimited number of times.

- Chi

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Frode, I don't think the UP1100 was given a fair chance in this comparison. It is well known that the UP1100 and LT100 look absolutely awful via the composite and S-video inputs. It's hard to believe they actually put these projectors on the market with such terrible performance from the two kinds of video sources the average user is likely to hook up.

[This message has been edited by Mark Fontana (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By crackable I mean region crackable. Go here for links to firmware: www.firmware.fr.st

JoseQ,

I currently only have DD passthrough using the ATI player - no DTS - yet. ATI is working on it however. I do have full DD/DTS passthrough in both WinDVD and PowerDVD... in both win98se and win2k. I suggest you take a trip over to the HTPC forum as there should be a couple of guides there to help you get digital passthrough working.

Mark Fontana and Gary P. Gibbs,

I realise that the UP1100 may be a very good projector if thumperized and hooked up to a HTPC. I was just stating what I saw http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . That scaler/de-interlacer was possibly one of the worst I've ever seen to date. I've seen a 15 year old extron line doubler do better. I'd be very interested in seeing a proper shootout with the LT150 and a thumperized UP1100. Especially with what I noticed about rainbows/color/contrast being worse on the UP1100 - even considering it was using composite.

Hmm.. while we're on the subject.. wonder what Thumper might be able to pull off with a LT150 ^_^.

------------------

/frode

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.