AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A beautiful movie, without the usual schmaltz people feel guilty about. This is a biopic about a kid who grows up in Idaho Falls, Idaho, and travels half way round the world to help the Tongan people. It's one of those films that should get a Humanitas award, it is all about altruism, compassion, and loyalty, something that is very rare in the world today. In my lifetime, I've met a few people like John Groberg, the subject of this film. If you value honesty and integrity, you can sense it immediately in a person. Buena Vista should be congratulated on choosing to distribute this movie on dvd.

Here's my personal reason for liking the Grobert character (and the young actor, Christopher Gorham, who portayed him). John plays jazz trumpet in the style of Louis Armstrong. (An interesting coincidence is that Chris's brother is an accomplished trumpet player). One of the things you learn when you go out in the real world for the first time is that there are many good, interesting people of all backgrounds and nationalities. And believe it or not, they have much in common with you. Keep your mind and your heart open, and you will find them.

Pair this dvd with Tuck Everlasting, and you'll have an enjoyable weekend of family movie viewing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree. This is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. I personally feel that the Tongan that plays John Groberg's missionary companion should have received top billing- he was very good. When it was in the theater, we took my father-in-law to see it. He served a mission in Tahiti when he was younger. While my father-in-law's experiences weren't quite as dramatic as John Groberg's, it stirred many memories and we heard quite a few stories we hadn't heard before.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Ollie(if you don't mind me being informal):Thanks for the tip.One thing I've learned from reading your posts-you definately know movies.I'll rent this on your recommendation=it sounds like something my wife will like.Me too,probably.And then I can sneak in Transporter!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by lonwolf615
And then I can sneak in Transporter!

Transporter is a pretty intense movie. I never realized Jason Statham was so physical or quick. When someone top-posts a review, I'll add more comments. The fighting scene in the bus depot is the first of its kind in an action flick. Haven't seen anything like this setup in hundreds of martial arts film. Wonder why no one ever thought of it before. Comedically, the concept has been used in silent films and 50's madcap movies.

When you rent Transporter, pair it with a Jet Li or Jackie Chan movie. Better yet, reserve a copy of Takeshi Miike's City of Lost Souls. Has fight scenes, car chases, and a soundtrack to thrash the neighbors with.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
watched this last night.I remember a sense of disney movies when Walt still ran the show when I was a child-an implied view point of the world and how to look at it.Never preachy or patronizing,but always promoting a sense of decent values and the assumption of basic humanity in us all.That sounds pretentious I know,but its the best I can express it-hopefully the meaning gets thru.My point is this film captures that sense better than anything I can remember-a true Disney movie.Walt would have been proud.Thanks Ollie for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You guys are right on, The Other Side of Heaven was refreshing and reminded me of the old Disney films. I would love to see Hollywood produce more of these type films.

It's not for everyone, but thumbs up from me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.