AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years of service I've finally retired my RTV5040. I don't really watch TV any longer and the RTV5040 has been acting up so I decided to take it apart to look at it. Pretty boring actually, not sure what I was expecting inside.

Anyway, so now I'm wondering if there are any good projects out there to get linux installed on this thing and maybe run a server or some other hobby project from the old hardware? I'm not a linux guy, never used it but it seems that there is a project to install some linux flavor on just about anything!

Any fun and active RTV5040 hacks out there? Anyone running Apache on their old replay hardware?

BTW, I'm a newb.

-Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverandSteve /forum/post/17046868

Anyway, so now I'm wondering if there are any good projects out there to get linux installed on this thing and maybe run a server or some other hobby project from the old hardware? I'm not a linux guy, never used it but it seems that there is a project to install some linux flavor on just about anything!

The Replay may be hackable to some degree but I doubt you will get a flavor of Linux installed on it. Using some of the tooling available on this site you can run different start up jobs, update files and do other admin low level tasks. Perhaps once Replay finally dies and stops serving guide data some of the old "hackers" will post more information about opening up the OS that replay runs with.

But to get into Linux hacking I would suggest picking up a older DD-WRT capable router. Very fun things can be done on these devices and they can be found for ~30 for older hard ware.

Rick Fryar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.