AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be returning my 36xbr450 since I just bought it and the 800's are comming out. At first I was pretty sure I was just going to get the 36xbr800, or maybe the 32, but I played with the Philips 34PW9817 last weekend and was really impressed. So I'm not going to be getting a TV till the xbr800s come out and at that time the Philips 34" widescreen will probably cost as much as the 36xbr800... So what do people think of the Philips? I've seen a couple reviews and more then one touts the Philips as their favorite and the xbr450s as the worst (for the money). The upsides I'm seeing for the Philips are upconversion to 1080i (instead of 960i), doubling horizontal lines and not horiz+vert which the Sony does which really brings out a poor signal, supposedly better PQ esp with 480i images, can turn the DRC OFF (but some say the 800 series can do this too), greater resolution, and its true widescreen,. On the down side, it looks like for every component input you put in you have to also put in a s-vid from the same source for it to sync correctly (says the sales rep), no DVI input (not that the Sony is necessarily getting the DVI input that will be the standard), having to stretch all standard def images (of which we'll be watching 80% of the time). I know, I put down widescreen as a + and a -, well it is :) Owners of the 34PW9817, what problems have you faced? If you've used a 36xbr450 is the 34PW9817 that much better?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I don't know why a sales man/woman would tell you that nonsense. I have 2 Sony DVD Mega Changers going through switcher into component input. The only thing I use for my Silver Serpent S-Video cable is my Webtv into Vid-1, when WebTV is turned on the set displays SVid-1. My NEC Vcr is connected to the the cable TV. Sales man/woman most are honest. If he/she is getting commission for sales, they may tell you what you want to *hear* for them to make a sale! Let the buyer beware :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sizam,

I own the 9817 and have been relatively happy with it for the three months having owned it. I have not experienced the Sony, but I was able to get the Philips at a significant discount that would have rendered the sony non-comparable. The NTSC quality is very good, however the soon to be released 9818 is supposed to be a great improvement over the 9817. It is rumored to have new NTSC interpolation process that makes it very clear. I am not sure if they will resolve the single component issue though.

Overall, I think the Philips is well constructured with a few anomalies. The 3-D effect of Digital Natural Motion is very cool, at least for awhile, but the upconverting to 1080i does look remarkably well. I seem to get strange curved lines when I use the upconvert to progressive, but not on the 1080i and others have seen this as well. Make sure to look at this if you see this on your set before purchasing.

If you have the time and money to wait, I would give the 9818 a look when it arrives, which is supposed to be some time this summer.:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Reviewer from Sound & Vision said 9818 due out in June and will MSRP for 2999, in his review of the set claimed it was the best picture he had ever seen once he had it all set up. Quite a statement to make when you make your living at it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'll have to see that then! Sounds like the xbr800s are going to be pretty backordered, anybody know how many componenet inputs it'll have? Component switching on the Denon 3801 is great but I have 3 component sources which means I need two inputs on the TV :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a 34PW9817 for six months now and it is a great set. I also attached the DVD Q50 DVD player and you can not believe the quality of this set.

The build quality of this set is great too. They are not manufacted in China or Mexico but In Europe ( I believe in the Belgium TV Plant).

Philips has a long and good reputation in Europe with the MathLine series and Wide Screen TV. Wie Screen is already in use for 12 years in Europe . One problem I see here in the USA is that the Philips service is very poor. Nobody seems to understand in USA what this is all about.

But again this is my third Philips TV in 32 years. My first one lasted 17 years, my second is already 15 years and still playing very well and used in the bedroom.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTSChuck
whats the diff between the 36xbr450 and the 36xbr800
See http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2019 for Sony's press release.

I think the main difference is that the 36xbr800 has DVI/HDCP input and no built in tuner while the 36xbr450 had a built in tuner (and possibly Firewire).

There's probably other little differences (memory stick, "ClearEdge VM", "DRC MultiFunction V1 circuitry", etc. etc. yadda yadda yadda) but the above are the main ones.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you've confused the 36xbrXXX with the 34xbr2. The 36xbr450 had no firewire or built-in tuner and neither will the 36xbr800. The main reasons to wait, and they are very good reasons I think (obviously, since I returned my 36xbr450) are the DVI/HDCP interface and the improved deinterlacer/upconverter, and the ability to turn it off. The DVI interface makes me feel better about future-compatability, and its a full-on digital interface (cool). The upconverter on the 450 was good, but on a bad feed, there were digital artificats everywhere, and you couldn't turn it off (very annoying).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
I CAN get the 36xbr800 SHIPPED for $1500 TOTAL

is this to good of a deal to pass up

?

i can also get the 34xbr800 for $1700... is wide screen worth the extra 200 bucks?

YES! unquestionably. $200 is definately worth the widescreen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have the philips 34 inch set and recieve a lot of OTA HD content. The picture quality of this set is remarkable if not outstanding. Being a tech guy myself I realize every set has advantages and disadvantages and technology constantly changes so waiting for new models this fall might not be a bad idea and suggestion for you to consider. I really like it a lot I've had it for approx. 9 months and the only downside I see with it is the one HD input. I too like others here have had philips sets last for 12 and 14 years respectively.

Support is a little weak but once you browse around this forum for awhile the people here really know their stuff.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Quote:
I CAN get the 36xbr800 SHIPPED for $1500 TOTAL

is this to good of a deal to pass up

?

i can also get the 34xbr800 for $1700... is wide screen worth the extra 200 bucks?
He must know a Sony wholesaler. These look like 50% off MSRP prices.

Hook us up!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
i do have a Sony wholesaler in the family, i wish i could give everyone this discount, sorry guys.

I think I’ve decided to go with the kv-34xbr800, $1700 Shipped to my door, 16:9 and HDTV ready. I don’t think it’ll come in till late august but ill let you guys know how it is the day it gets turned on!

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by n_lim

The NTSC quality is very good, however the soon to be released 9818 is supposed to be a great improvement over the 9817. It is rumored to have new NTSC interpolation process that makes it very clear. I am not sure if they will resolve the single component issue though.

If you have the time and money to wait, I would give the 9818 a look when it arrives, which is supposed to be some time this summer.:)
Will this new NTSC interpolation process only be on their widescreens or will they have it on their 4:3 sets as well?

The www.twice.com charts list 4:3 models in 27, 32 and 36 inch screen sizes with the PT8320 designations. There are also a couple of widescreen models in the 30 and 34 inch sizes (PW8520) which are priced considerably less than the 9818 models. Also some other widescreen models priced higher, one with piano black finish and some 30" DesignLine models with various finishes priced at $3000!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.