AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After great success with the Gjallarhorn's and Othorn I built, going to try another one. Can see that build thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465617/triple-gjallarhorn-othorn-build

Here is what I got done yesterday:

3D Model:

Cutting:

Assembly:

Will get the rest of the panels done tomorrow and start gluing it up.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
No kidding. I'd love to have a CNC machine in my garage.

Reactions: Mfusick

·
Registered
3,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23525260

Wow that is quite a set up!

Ya it is WOW! Very impressive workshop! I'd be a DIY-ing SOB if I had that setup.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23525514

i do believe this counts as cheating

Hey now, I cut two Ghorn's and an Othorn all by hand. I'll call this more intelligent.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't have much time today. Got everything up to one side panel glued one. Just need to glue the other side on and get the driver mounted to be done.

Overall fairly easy to put together. Have a few modifications to make it easier. Would like it to be simple enough that anyone could do it with just a drill / glue.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking to Duratex this guy too. Came out quite well on my other subs. Has anyone had experience carpeting subs? Thoughts on doing that?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23528573

Wow I'm so jealous!

Very nice!

So much less painful then hundreds of pocket screws and trying to drill into weird angles!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl1  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23528585

So much less painful then hundreds of pocket screws and trying to drill into weird angles!

I bet! After these two Othorns of mine are done and not building another sub for a long long time...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23528590

I bet! After these two Othorns of mine are done and not building another sub for a long long time...

Good news is with that setup you won't need to build another sub ever again.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl1  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23528600

Good news is with that setup you won't need to build another sub ever again.

That's the idea, but the key word there is need. I was wayyyyy past need years ago

You still liking the Ghorns?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23528691

That's the idea, but the key word there is need. I was wayyyyy past need years ago

You still liking the Ghorns?

Yea they are great! Haven't watched much with them. Watched Sunshine and two light fixtures fell from the ceiling.

I didn't put lock washers on when I put the drivers in. Did you? Wondering if they need to be tightened after a bit.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl1  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23529168

Yea they are great! Haven't watched much with them. Watched Sunshine and two light fixtures fell from the ceiling.

I didn't put lock washers on when I put the drivers in. Did you? Wondering if they need to be tightened after a bit.

I did not, but I used 1/4"-20 threaded inserts, and cranked them down pretty tight. I doubt they'll come loose.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintrain  /t/1481521/othorn-round-2-build#post_23529471

ds1,

I know of a local shop with a cad rig that could build this for me. Would you mind sharing your cad file?

I certainly can give you my files. Unfortunately it's generally not as easy as that. Even if I gave you all my DXF's they are probably still going to need to do a lot of work to get everything exact due to differences in setups. The machine is one thing. The other big thing is material thicknesses. My baltic birch was slightly less then 18mm / 12mm, I modeled based on that. If your material is .72 instead of .707 it won't fit in the slots etc.

If you're seriously interested in some Othorn's we can discuss some flat packs.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts