AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here picked up the OTA HDTV feed in the Ottawa region? If so, what equipment is needed?

I noticed an Ottawa Citizen story about this awhile back, but seem to recall that a normal SC or BEV receiver wouldn't work. I've seen the cdtv website, but it doesn't tell you much.

thanks

db

·
Registered
258 Posts
No you have to have a hi-def receiver. Even BEV's 6000 doesn't support the 8vsb/OTA module yet, so that's not an option either. You have to have a dedicated STB. If you're interested in picking one up it looks like the RCA DTC-100 is starting to get down to the price point where you could goof around with it for not too much money. However, it's going to be a few years before you see much content up here OTA, unless you live close to one of the major US cities. BEV has told me that they will be supporting the 8vsb module in the 6000, they just won't tell me when

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Ottawa DTV test transmitter has been up and down like a yo yo all summer long. It is currently broadcasting the same old endllessly repeating 1.5 minute demo loop of "Over America" in 1080i on channel 67-3.

Many of the recent articles about HDTV demos in Canada specifically mention Toronto and Vancouver with Montreal coming soon. Ottawa has not been mentioned since this spring when the article in the Ottawa Citizen you mentioned was published.

I sent a letter to the president of CDTV about five weeks ago asking if the plans to include Ottawa were still on. So far, he has not had the courtesy to reply.

The Toronto test transmitter is currently multicasting on three subchannels. One has a standard definition digital version of CityTv and the other two are broadcasting standard definition test patterns.

To receive the broadcasts, you'll basically need to import a U.S.-sourced DTV receiver (e.g., the RCA DTC-100).

Cheers!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Another option is a DTV tuner card for your PC like AccessDTV, WinTV-HD or the HiPix.

A minor correction.. the Toronto test transmitter is now carrying a SDTV demo loop and a 720p demo loop downconverted to 480i on the subchannels, as well as CITY-TV on the main channel.

Dave.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The quality is very slightly better than StarChoice DTH.

If you're interested in the transition to digital television in Canada you should check out the first and second round comments submitted to the CRTC by cable companies and broadcasters:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/Broadcast/eng/...001-62/int.htm

Canadian broadcasters plan to share the test transmitters to multicast SDTV versions of their channels on a temporary basis until the digital transition is farther along. The plan is to include a time slot for HDTV (about four hours per week) which will rotate among the participating broadcasters.

Sounds like a very weak commitment to HDTV to me..

Dave.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm not sure about the power.. I know it's licensed for up to 1.73kW avg ERP. Back in May they moved the transmitter higher up on the tower which should have improved coverage. You might have better luck now.

Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.