AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A source informs me that new tests are underway in Ottawa, code name "Phase Two", that should obliterate the recent scurilous test results of 8-VSB versus COFDM conducted by MSTV and endorsed by ATSC and CEA.

According to the source:

"These tests will include the PACE COFDM receiver that MSTV refused to test and the latest Nokia COFDM reciever. It will also test the "Transmitter Monitor" that MSTV tested and called a COFDM receiver. They, however, will test it with and without front end filtering so that a direct comparison between the two can be documented. Then, the results of the MSTV COFDM test can be interpolated using the variables from the Ottowa test to get a better idea of what the MSTV test results would have been with a front end filter on the "transmitter monitor"."

The source believes that: "This should show that with the fixed "Transmitter Monitor", COFDM would have performed 300% better but if the Nokia or Pace receivers had been used the results would have been 500% better."

I can't verify any of the above but the test results should be of interest to every broadcaster and DTV consumer.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Do you know, or at least have any idea, when the tests will be completed and at least preliminary results made available? I'm probably the only other poster on this forum interested in the outcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Do you also go by the name Bob Miller?

If not, then I'll bet you dollars to donuts that your info came from him. Anyway, if COFDM performs '300% better', then it'll be over 100% successful. Let's try to be real here.

Also, if I find out that this is true and the CRC if footing the bill, I'll be writing my MP and asking why taxpayer money is being wasted on this.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I never use an alias and sorry that the source wishes to remain anonymous. BTW, how many OTA 8-VSB STBs have been sold in Canada? Is the Canadian government considering COFDM?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray H:
Do you know, or at least have any idea, when the tests will be completed and at least preliminary results made available? I'm probably the only other poster on this forum interested in the outcome. Thanks.
I'm also quite interested, though I am cognizant of the difficulties the perception of another standards war will create. It's just that I can currently only receive 2 out of 10 stations which should theoretically be available to me, and I would like to know what other options might exist.

Note to readers: this does not mean I want to be a spokesperson for the pro- or anti-COFDM camp, and if you try to use me as such I will come after you with everything I have.

I have no desire to be lumped in with the rest of the childish, assinine, disrespectful "warriors" who feel the need to litter this otherwise outstanding message board with their personal vendettas and revenge tactics. It's enough to make a person seek out a third alternative standard.

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This post sounds oh so familiar to the post that came before the "recent test of 8-vsb versus COFDM conducted by MSTV" that you mention below. Wasn't that test supposed to "obliterate 8-vsb"? haha When are you going to give up? You're the ultimate ignorant, you build up tests, then when the results come in favoring keeping the 8-vsb standard, you discount the SAME tests you built up and go jumping on the bandwagon of the next supposed "conclusive" test. When are you going to realize that you're wrong? Never?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Utne:
A source informs me that new tests are underway in Ottawa, code name "Phase Two", that should obliterate the recent scurilous test results of 8-VSB versus COFDM conducted by MSTV and endorsed by ATSC and CEA.
[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This entire 8VSB vs. COFDM issue isn't worth the time of day debating. Everyone knows the real stumbling block to HD is lack of must carry requirements for the cable industry. OTA analog, 8VSB, COFDM---doesn't matter. Most non-enthusiasts don't want to put a massive antenna on their roof and as for indoor reception, very few locations deliver multi-path free analog from a pair of rabbit ears so why should we expect DTV to be any different.

I've done tests at three locations using an indoor UHF antenna with a Toshiba DST 3000 and a DISH 600. I got rock solid HD reception with both receivers while an analog UHF channel, with transmitter at the same location as the DTV channels, was essentially unwatchable. The myth that 8VSB can't deliver a signal to the same boundaries as analog is pure crap--all things being equal--such as tower height and equivalent power.

As for COFDM, who needs an electricity, energy sucking transmission standard in this day and age, that will double or triple electrical energy useage and costs at a transmitter site.

This is a country where the broadcasters, for the most part, use single 'big stick' transmitters. COFDM may work well for a European business model (low power transmitters, non-HD, located every few miles) but that won't fly in this country. Time for someone to get real!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.