AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was trying to adjust the V coil on the yoke board for the blue tube of a Barco 1200. The yoke board isn't mounted on the cover and easily accessible like on newer Barcos. It's down in the chassis. I was having trouble getting the screwdriver head in the slot. Like 45 minutes worth of trouble. I had kept one hand in my pocket until I reached a level of frustration that caused me to throw caution to the wind. I grabbed the screwdriver with one hand by the head and the other hand by the handle. One pinky finger touched something on the yoke board and the other pinky the neck board. Zap! I could feel the electricity flowing across my chest. That might have only have caused Curt to giggle, but it @#$%^*& hurt my wimpy ass! My pinky fingers, hands, forearms and chest hurt for a good while. Especially the end of my left pinky finger. It hurt until this morning.

I think that "one hand in your pocket rule" is a good one!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Actually, I giggle if I leave one hand in my pocket whilst 'playing' with projectors.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL!
Another good reason to keep one hand in your pocket--regardless of what you're doing.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
THat's what I tell my customers...'it gives me great pleasure to work on your Barco'.

or something like that.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
I had a 10PG apart once and had the projector & power supply laying on the floor. I was installing the fan mod Tim had sent to me.

The projector was still plugged in. I thought I had all the active plugs removed between the projector and power supply. I was wrong. With both hand in the PS it grabbed me for a while. Lesson learned. Scary.

Glad you are ok Phil

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alan! I'm glad you were ok too.

Immediately after it happened I was wandering thru the house trying to walk it off (Rub some dirt on it!). I'm rubbing my chest and feeling my heartbeat thinking, "Sh!t! I'm too old to be doing that!" I live by myself and my son and his wife only come over once every week or two. I kept thinking of the lead singer of Alice In Chains, who died and rotted for a while before his corpse was discovered. Maybe the electricity that would still be coursing thru my body would slow down decomposition.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/0

Actually, I giggle if I leave one hand in my pocket whilst 'playing' with projectors.

This would explain your old sig -- "I have holes in my pockets and I'm not wearing underwear"

·
Registered
18,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/0

Thanks Alan! I'm glad you were ok too.

I kept thinking of the lead singer of Alice In Chains, who died and rotted for a while before his corpse was discovered. Maybe the electricity that would still be coursing thru my body would slow down decomposition.

I think you're OK. AFAIK you don't live on skid row or shoot heroin.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I got my first zap the other day adjusting the G2 pot (or whatever one adjusts the raster brightness on the focus board) when my finger slid onto the back of the pot.

Less of a shock really and more of a burning feeling as the pin poking out from the solder made a nice, clean hole in my finger. Smelt bad. Felt bad.

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
The "Warning this is live" on the Barco heatsinks is true........................

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Never got hit by HV in a PJ, but an oil burner ignitor transformer hit me while in high school. HVAC voc school... we used to create jacobs ladders for family night.

I also was one half of a 208V short that welded a pair of screwdrivers together.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I can surely say that the anode leads on a 1271 don't feel too good either(cracked boot that I was unaware of). Definitely an experience that will make you sit down without even trying

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/0

I think you're OK. AFAIK you don't live on skid row or shoot heroin.

Well at least he went out with a good buzz. I would have kicked the bucket with a buzz too, but nothing about was good.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridebreck /forum/post/0

So Phil's to blame for that small brown-out we had the other day, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin.It /forum/post/0

That explains the alarm on my computer's UPS screaming at me the other night... Phil shorted out the north Texas grid.

Mark

LOL! You guys are killing me (if almost killing myself wasn't bad enough).

I'm worried that I won't have enough money pay this month's electric bill after creating such a draw on the DFW power grid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.