AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've done some brief reading on the site and like all the expertise I see when it comes to home theater design. I'm buying a new home that has an Unfinished Room Above the Garage, and I would love to turn it into a dedicated home theater. I think it is a decent size room and great shape for a home theater, but with gabled ceiling, it poses some design issues when it comes to setup and decor. I thought I'd post some pictures of it and hope to get any advice on layout, setup, and planning the construction. I hope this will end it some great finished home theater photos. I look forward to being a part of your community here at AVS!

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really have any expertise to share on other threads yet, so I guess I'll post on my own to get my count high enough to show photos of the room.... I don't really know much about electronics anymore. I used to do a little sound production about 6 years or so ago, and one of the guys I produced for ended up getting a music contract in Atlanta. I am a Mechanical Engineer by education and an Air Force Pilot by trade, so I'm technically savvy, I just don't have the vast amount of knowledge yet, but I'm willing to learn!

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures of the room as it is currently: a blank slate. I think one of the pluses is that it is symmetrical, and it has a nice closet space for equipment in the back. A drawback would be the gabled ceiling and perhaps the placement of the door. All things to work with though.

As you walk in the door, I envision this would be the screen area, but I have no plans on paper yet.

Standing by the window looking towards the "rear" of the room.

Sidewall

Sidewall

View of the back cubby for electronics.

As the walls are framed now, the room is 13' 2.5" wide and 19'10" long. If the walls were framed as far out as possible, that would make the gable start at 39" high up to the 96" cieling, and then the room would be 20'9" wide.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,149 Posts
I wouldn't waste that cubby for equipment. You could tuck a refreshment center in there. You have all that side space and you could do a couple of built in racks along the side for equipment.

OR

Actually you could do a built in refreshment center recessed along one of the sides.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Subscribed to. Looking forward to this build as it is exactly the same room type as our next house.

And I agree with Big, I would not waster the cubby for the rack. although I don't know what size the cubby is, I would use it for something else.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As for where to start, the first thing to do is read the stickies! Make sure you check out the "What I'd do differently next time" to avoid mistakes that others have already made.

Next, look for build threads with similar rooms to yours for ideas. I have a similar room but haven't started yet. I do have some design ideas in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1023008

Once you have some ideas use Google Sketchup to draw something up. It will help you visualize the space.

Ask specific questions! There are lots of very experienced builders here with lots of good ideas, but don't expect them to do all the work for you.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,149 Posts
first is to define your objectives for this space. Just a few ideas of things to define:

What is your vision of Home Theater?

How will it be used?

How many seats

Type of Display intended

Type of seating

Concerns for sound proofing and sound treatment

type of sound system

sources of content anticipated

HVAC requirements (does it get hot where you live)

Draw us a floor plan to scale showing the dimensions of what you have to work with.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This is a great space to work with! Look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

I'll reiterate what others have said already:

- Read read read read read. Go through the Show Me threads to get an idea for what types of things you like and do not like. There are also a bunch of theaters on here that have been built in a similar area as yours, which should give you some good ideas. Read through some of the longer build threads to get a general idea of HT build techniques, and what is important to focus on etc.

- Define all of your constraints. # of seats, budget, WAF, etc.

- Sound proofing. Figure out whether this is important to you right away, as basically your entire theater design is based on whether you want the room to be sound proof or not. Budget and what/who is in the rest of your house are key factors in this.

- After that, alot of the other decisions will start to fall into place such as screen size, equipment, etc.

- Pencil out a rough floorplan, post it on here, and others will chime in with suggestions, comments, critiques, etc based on their own experiences.

- Get a floorplan finalized(ish) and put it into Google SketchUp to get a 3D version of the room. You can check out colors, distances, etc with that.

- Get building, and post a million pics for everyone to enjoy, and help you with along the journey.

- Finally, enjoy, and start planning the next theater in your mind....

ps, I would put a bar of some sort in the back of the room, and the AV Rack build into a side wall somewhere.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko /forum/post/17018791

This is a great space to work with! Look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

I'll reiterate what others have said already:

- Read read read read read. Go through the Show Me threads to get an idea for what types of things you like and do not like. There are also a bunch of theaters on here that have been built in a similar area as yours, which should give you some good ideas. Read through some of the longer build threads to get a general idea of HT build techniques, and what is important to focus on etc.

- Define all of your constraints. # of seats, budget, WAF, etc.

- Sound proofing. Figure out whether this is important to you right away, as basically your entire theater design is based on whether you want the room to be sound proof or not. Budget and what/who is in the rest of your house are key factors in this.

- After that, alot of the other decisions will start to fall into place such as screen size, equipment, etc.

- Pencil out a rough floorplan, post it on here, and others will chime in with suggestions, comments, critiques, etc based on their own experiences.

- Get a floorplan finalized(ish) and put it into Google SketchUp to get a 3D version of the room. You can check out colors, distances, etc with that.

- Get building, and post a million pics for everyone to enjoy, and help you with along the journey.

- Finally, enjoy, and start planning the next theater in your mind....

ps, I would put a bar of some sort in the back of the room, and the AV Rack build into a side wall somewhere.

Yeah...what he said.

I started my build by looking at about a thousand pictures. I looked to see what colors were used that really appealed to me. What textures were used, what screen was used and how did it fit in the space. Did I want the EQ in the room or outside of it. risers, lighting, carpet, chairs, room acoustics, colors...there is a lot to digest and it seems a bit overwhelming at first, but break it down.. and it becomes quite simple. First thing is first, Identify your goals. what do you want the room to be and do? Me, I just wanted a movie room and not a tv room. It was a destination for us, not a family room. Then start wiring, but be thinking ahead of what you want to finished prduct to look like. Take your time. Ours was done in about a month from stud to finished product, but we had no issues and clear outline of what needed to be done. everything was bought so once the carpet was done we were watching movies that night. Think it through and study other posts.

And lastly ask as many questions as you want...everybody here is awesome at answering them and there are some very knowledgable people on here.

Good luck and keep the progress pics coming!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
P.S. I'mnot sure where you are located, (and some people are quite private about that) but there is usually someone around close to you to help and give you guidance. If you are lucky you are in VA, MI or IA.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey alpha /forum/post/17018978

P.S. I'mnot sure where you are located, If you are lucky you are in VA, MI or IA.

Pretty sure it is not Northern VA, we have basements and tend to build bunkers not FROGs. (that is a family room over garage)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17019333

Pretty sure it is not Northern VA, we have basements and tend to build bunkers not FROGs. (that is a family room over garage)

And I love how you correctly point out that it's Northern VA. God forbid people mistake our group from being some other part of the state.

You'll need to let me know what you learned during your housing tour. Our 10 year plan it to leave the area and head some place coastal Carolina. Charleston perhaps.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's my first shot at some of the basics! Its easiest for me to write in a semi-bullet format:

The room will be used as a dedicated home theater for viewing movies, possibly big sports games. I would like to have enough seating to have friends over for movie viewings.

I think 8 seats would be a good number, maybe two rows of four in some fashion. I like the Berkline chairs that I've sat in.

The display type will be a front projection/screen but no clue on specifics.

I would like to soundproof somewhat, but I would really like to focus on acoustics. Nothing extremely crazy, but something realistic to optimize my sound.

As for the sound system, I want to run 7.1 and I really like the Klipsch speakers I've demo'd so far.

I haven't put too much thought into media storage, but content sources would have to be Blu Ray player, Direct TV.

I'm a 24 year old USAF Pilot, so maybe that helps put my budget in perspective. (I just spent 200+ on my new home, hopefully that's not too much info) I think realistic goals are to spend $7,000 on electronics, and whatever it takes to do the construction (hopefully no more than 3K for supplies?).

WAF is non existent. I have a girlfriend who lives with me, but its my home and my money, so I do as I please

For those interested I am located just south of Atlanta (1.5) hours and live in Bonaire.

FROG is what they call it; I heard finished room over garage but family also substitutes.

Here are the dimensions of the floor with the current framed side walls.

·
Registered
272 Posts
yO falconair07,

My perspective may be a minority on this, but I think that back area would be ideal for a media nook. I see a lot of great potential for the whole room itself, and frankly, I'm jealous. haha... I can't see much of a need for an USAF man like yourself to have a junk food/snack counter. lol, maybe a beer fridge with keg tap. haha The window would make a great screen wall. Then to take care of the slanted areas of the ceiling, use the soffit with rope light technique as many HT's here have to demonstrate. If I get some free time tonight, I'll sketch up my ideas/suggestions.

What is that metal looking thing in the closet area? Part of the HVAC system or just some extra insulation you have in there tucked out of the way? I can't quite tell.

Good luck with the space. Looking forward to seeing your completed media room.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts