AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research after xmas for my parents for a new HDTV. Seemed like the 42PZ77U was the tv to get, especially because burn-in was no longer a problem and it comes broken in. I suggested it and they got it.

I never watch the tv but I went up there tonight and I see in full screen HDTV programming, I can see the black bars on either side of the screen that is present when watching SD programming.

I left it on the HDTV program but half an hour later they are still quite apparent.

I don't think Sears will take the tv back, so it begs the question; is this burn in permanent? The FAQ at the top of the page has broken links, so I couldn't find any answers in there.

What should I tell my parents to prevent the burn in from becoming any worse? There are very few good programs on our HDTV channes, so watching movies / HDTV 70% of the time isn't an option.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaguy /forum/post/12937204

I did some research after xmas for my parents for a new HDTV. Seemed like the 42PZ77U was the tv to get, especially because burn-in was no longer a problem and it comes broken in. I suggested it and they got it.

I never watch the tv but I went up there tonight and I see in full screen HDTV programming, I can see the black bars on either side of the screen that is present when watching SD programming.

I left it on the HDTV program but half an hour later they are still quite apparent.

I don't think Sears will take the tv back, so it begs the question; is this burn in permanent? The FAQ at the top of the page has broken links, so I couldn't find any answers in there.

What should I tell my parents to prevent the burn in from becoming any worse? There are very few good programs on our HDTV channes, so watching movies / HDTV 70% of the time isn't an option.

If they are watching a majority of shows in 4:3 aspect (black bars on the sides) they should be stretching the picture with the aspect button on the remote to "Just" mode. This minimally stretches the middle of the picture and applies more stretch to the edges. It doesn't look bad and would be wise to do in the future. I watch some 4:3 material with black side bars and have had no image retention issues on my Panny set. I would say I have the screen filled completely 80% of the time though. I imagine the uneven wear will get better on your parents set, but they need to totally avoid displaying black side bars for while.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got it set to grey side bars now, but since this is grey all the time, it'll still contribute to burn in, correct?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I really doubt that it has permanent burn-in. I would take the above suggestion to stretch 4:3 content for a few months and then after that they shouldn't have to worry about it again unless they watch 4:3 content exclusively.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I'd venture into the service menu and run the built-in screen cleaner for a few hours. That should clear it up. Instructions on how to do so are here .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts