AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic PT-AE3000 and posted this twice in the owners thread but there were no responses...

if you go to the zoom/focus screen and set the focus to the extreme (pressing the up button on the remote) all the way, i can see dozens of what look like black specs showing up all over the screen from very close up. They are not concentrated in one area but all across the screen. This only becomes apparent when the zoom is completely out of focus and only happens when going out of focus in that direction. I did the same going the opposite way and there were no spots. During normal dvd or blu-ray play, there do not seem to be any noticeable spots.

I did have a green dust blob showing up on the black screen but i was able to resolve this through these instructions to clean it out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...torial&page=62 .

I did use compressed air as the lens cleaner did not give out enough air flow but before i cleaned out the dust blob, i already noticed the spots when i went out of focus.

After speaking to Panasonic a few times over the phone, they said that this was not abnormal and as long as the picture looks good when in focus and during normal play, then there is nothing to worry about. They said that it could be projecting micro dust particles, possibly from the lens and only becomes apparent when adjusting the lens to one extreme.

Should this be a concern or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/17040500

So, to check this on my AE1000, I would defocus all the way both directions?

I mean, I haven't played with the focus since installation years ago, I'd have no idea if mine did it or not.

Yes, this is correct. In my case I found the spots showing only when completely out of focus in one direction, nothing appeared in the other direction.

Anyone else notice or have this showing?

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhlzeus /forum/post/17040439

After speaking to Panasonic a few times over the phone, they said that this was not abnormal and as long as the picture looks good when in focus and during normal play, then there is nothing to worry about. They said that it could be projecting micro dust particles, possibly from the lens and only becomes apparent when adjusting the lens to one extreme.

This is correct. You are simply adjusting the focus to the point that you are imaging the lens focal plane instead of the display's focal plane. Unless you are seeing issues when the display is in focus, this won't be an issue. Lens contamination will increase flare and possibly decrease CR, but the amount of contamination would need to be significant before you notice its effect. All projectors will have some level of lens contamination. You just haven't noticed it before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts