AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my replay to 110 GB with a Maxtor 80GB. I only used up less than 80 hours, according to the replay guide screen. And now when it tries to connect to get replay and channel info, it doesnt go through because it says i have insufficient memory. I have over 30 hours left but it still doesn't get the channel info. Anyone know what is wrong with my replay?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Don't confuse hard disk free space with "Out of memory" error. You have less memory (RAM) available after the hard disk upgrade. The upgrade utilizes more RAM but if you keep the number guide entries (zones/scheduled recordings) to a reasonable < 30 and perform a soft reboot (hold power button on unit in for 15 seconds, unit will reboot and free up ram) you should be able to net connect now. You can force a net connect through 243 zones.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
perform a soft reboot (hold power button on unit in for 15 seconds, unit will reboot and free up ram
I don't like a soft reboot for this condition in case the the drives have a problem during it. A safer alternative is a cold (hard) reboot after spinning down the drives. Just spin down the drives (press and release the power button then wait 2 minutes till the drives stop) then remove power. Wait another couple minutes and plug back in. This will give the best full reboot/reset. After it boots back up and enters standby hit power again and you're are back in business. It's just that the more often you soft reboot the greater the risk of it wiping the shows though it usually only happens on a softboot after a freezeup or a power outage. But do try to reduce the extra entries/channel/zones if some aren't needed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
[MikeyBoy]xxx[/keep the number guide entries (zones/scheduled recordings) to a reasonable
Just curious, when you say 30, do u mean less than thirty entries? Or when i have a scheduled record to keep the 10 most current, does that count as 10? Thanks for the clarification too. I did get mixed up between HD mem and RAM mem

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way then to tweak the replay so u free up the most memory? aside from limiting ur scheduled recordings, for instance, maybe somehow getting rid of some of the ReplayZones selections?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I don't think there is any other way. Somewhere on here there is a thread were a ReplayGuy went into this but I can't find it now I'd like to know too. The ReplayZones don't come into play unless you have it watching for recordings (set up). I think even the total number of recordings have some minor effect (as in watch and delete some) but the biggest thing is just it working on the guide data always watching for what you've requested when you have a lot setup (maybe more than one person can humanly watch...some of Tivo people have filled up 300+ hours on one machine!!) But do pay attention to this because if you read around here when your Replay has has a certain kind of error it can loose all the shows in one swipe. You can toggle on the memmeter (243 zones)and just see how it reacts when you delete some. But this is a nice problem to have... all this capacity.:)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
i have far more than 30 replay channels - somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 - 60 and i've never gotten an out of memory error

on my 140 hour replay the memory seems to stay in the low 200's most of the time, after a reboot it will get as high as 260-270, during a netconnect it drops very very low, but it's never been a daily problem

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do u read the memmeter? what do the numbers on both sides of the "/" mean? i normally hit a reading of 139k/181k. sometimes going down to 139k/145k.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It's not just recordings and scheduled recordings that take up memory. Since the unit has to load all of the programming information for all non-deleted channels into memory), you can free up significant memory by going into the add/delete channels dialog screen in setup and delelting channels that you never watch. This is particularly significant if you have digital cable with zillions of channels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.