AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of Sight has always been a favorite of mine and it is a movie I have seen at least ten times in various formats (VHS, DVD, and part of one television broadcast). I was knocked out by the detail of the HD DVD version I watched last night, but something seemed a little off to me...

After digging out my Collector's Edition Standard Definition DVD version of the film and doing an A/B comparison with the HD DVD version, it seemed to me that, while the HD version certainly had more detail, the colors were also somewhat different. To me, it looked as though Universal may have "pumped up" the picture for the HD transfer (I don't think the transfer, unlike the one for the Collector's Edition, was approved by either Soderbergh or the film's cinematographer). Colors seemed brighter, and some of the "grittiness" of the film's look appeared to be reduced, as certain scenes had a sheen and polish to them that gave them a more "pristine" look in comparison to previous transfers. In one scene, in which Foley (George Clooney) talks to two inmates in a prison yard during Chapter 4, there seemed to be almost a golden hue to it that is not present at all in the Standard Definition version.

What I am wondering is if I am seeing more of what Soderbergh intended, or whether Universal brightened and sweetened the picture for the HD DVD transfer, ruining the integrity of his vision. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dont think so... The colours look similar to the LD version that I have, but of course in the expanded HD colourspace, things do indeed look different. Dont have the DVD, so not sure how that looks.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
HD have a different color space, all movies in HD (so far) have better colors than DVD. Not all that much, but it's shows when you know a movie by heart..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.