AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With any luck I should get my new 503CMX from Dell "soon". But now I'm worrying about what to do when I get it. I know there has been discussion about the importance of testing a new plasma as soon as you get it, but now I cannot find those threads (other than the mention of "dead pixels" in the FAQ), and I've tried searching with all manner of keywords.

Would someone be so kind as point me to the relevant threads, or, better yet, describe the procedure I should follow as soon as I take delivery?

P.S. I ordered the Avia DVD. Is there any other (reasonably priced) tools I should get?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sixsevans
. . . describe the procedure I should follow as soon as I take delivery?

P.S. I ordered the Avia DVD. Is there any other (reasonably priced) tools I should get?
Hello Sixsevans

Although I work for another PDP maker, I'd like to share with you what we advise our dealers to do. This takes 3 minutes.

While the trucker is on premises, after you've checked for box damage, you're still not ready to sign. (Crushed corners or tripped tilt-detectors may or may not indicate a problem. A pristine box may or may not be a problem.) Check all this out in your driveway. . .

1. remove the strapping (without cutting it if possible. Usually there are reusable strap buckles.)

2. lift off the one-piece box cover and the top styrofoam. Leave the unit in the box, held up by the bottom styrofoam.

3. pull down the plastic sheeting. Look for obvious physical damage, scratches and so on.

4. connect the power plug and run it to the mains outlet. (Having the extension cord ready and waiting in your driveway shows the truck driver that you mean business. )

5. Find the remote and insert its batteries. Point the remote at the set and make a menu come up on the screen. (you may have to hold some of the bottom foam out of the way to reveal the remote receptor.)

If you see the menu, you know your unit has no glass damage and you can sign off on the delivery. Any subsequent problems are service issues you'd take up with the dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Dave

I posted a question on another thread regarding your outstanding "out of the box acceptance test" procedure and I haven't received very many replies so I thought you might help. Is the freight company aware of this procedure and do you know if is it being done by end users or is this only being done by dealers? Can it really be done in 3 minutes by a novice or should I notify the dispatch office if I'm going to have the driver wait while I inspect my 50" Pio (don't want to p*** him off) :)

Thanks for the help.

Anyone else out there have any experience using this method?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Net Addict
Is the freight company aware of this procedure and do you know if is it being done by end users or is this only being done by dealers? Can it really be done in 3 minutes by a novice :)
We suggest dealers test each panel for shipping damage this way and persuade the driver to wait. (You can bet there's mutual respect because the dealer wants quick delieries and the trucker wants the least hassle. And maybe a discount if he wants to buy something, who knows?) Dealers tell me there's rarely a problem. they're not making the guy wait for a complete PQ evaluation, just a smash check.

As Fujitsu sells only to brick & mortar installing dealers, we don't have experience trucking our panels out to end users.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I still would like to see the truck driver wait for this without slipping him some $$!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I hope you don't get advice like that from a Pio rep anywhere. 777777 was getting delivery in December in a particularly wet part of the country. Had he lived in Chicago it would probably been below the freezing point. Plugging your new plasma in out by the snow bank sounds less than brilliant. You have more time for DOA returns than just a few minutes.

Ideally, you should bring the whole box and pallet into room temperature and don't even open it for 24 hours. Not knowing the temperature of the inside of the box can lead to serious condensation issues and the resultant damages. If you're in Phoenix and it's 110, go ahead, do it in the driveway, just be sure your plugged into a GFIC.

Don't go POOF in the driveway,

Lew

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Word of caution....

Some FedEx deliveries won't even let the box off the truck before you sign for it.

So don't be surprised.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Also don't expect the menus to do anything with no inputs hooked up. The 503 I think lighs up with nothing on the inputs but you can't bring up any relevant menus until you have something hooked up.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videobruce
I still would like to see the truck driver wait for this without slipping him some $$!
trainerdave is right on target. We inspect all plasmas before signing regardless of Manufacture. Every driver waits as they also like the added protection.

Dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Also don't expect the menus to do anything with no inputs hooked up.
IUnknown -

The Integrator Mode menus on the 503 work with no video input. This is enough to get into FULL MASK mode to test the screen for dead pixels and buzz.
(See Pioneer CMX503 Brand Specific FAQ for more info.)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
sixsevans - be sure to find the info on the actual distributor and shipper for Dell. Search under "Electrograph" if you haven't already found that. Take 0% stock in what the Dell tracking says.

I gave the delivery guy $20 and actually had him help me move my old RPTV out into the garage before checking out the Pioneer.

Supposedly Dell is very easy to get a replacement if you have anything you don't like about the plasma. Therefore, delivery acceptance was not a big worry for me as long as no visable damage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's the general consensus as to whether or not a tripped "tip and tell" indicator should be grounds for refusal of the shipment, regardless of whether or not any damage or issues are noted during the initial inspection?

·
Registered
31 Posts
:D Hi folks. I got a tracking number today (and it shows up on the trucking co. site), so I'm finally starting to believe that my pwd6uy is actually on its way.

Mine is being sent from WA state to me in NY (even though the vendor was in FL). Anyone else's shipped from west coast to east? How long did it actually take?

My vendor's e-mail says: Please open the box and visually inspect the Plasma Display upon receipt. Check very carefully to be sure that the glass is not cracked. Even though the outer glass may not be shattered, there could still be cracks on the inner glass and so it is important to look closely and thoroughly at the glass.

Should I point a flashlight at the glass? How easy will it be to see the cracks on the inside?

I like the idea of asking the driver to wait until I bring up a menu, but what's the risk of turning on an ice cold plasma? It's still only in the 20s here in upstate NY.

Is it necessary to tip the driver, and how much? Is there usually one driver or two? Will they help bring it indoors or is it 'curb delivery'?

Has anyone had theirs delivered by Admiral Freight?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Mike

Tip the driver upfront. Give him a reason to help you check the plasma and turn it on. If the plasma is cold turn in on outside as the condensation will not set in until the plasma is moved into a warm home. Turning it on isn't as important as checking for glass damage.

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm due to receive my 42pwd7uy tomorrow afternoon. Can anyone tell me whether I can access a menu as suggested without having any inputs hooked up? If so, which button on the remote do I press to do this?

Also, what kind of batteries does the remote use and how many? Just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.