AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoroughly enjoyed this drama.

Christian Bale gives a superb performance as the protagonist.

Excellent cast with Casey Affleck, Forest Whitaker, Sam Shepard, Willem Dafoe, Zoey Saldana, and Woody Harrelson.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1526667/out-of-the-furnace#post_24590755

Thoroughly enjoyed this drama.

Christian Bale gives a superb performance as the protagonist.

Excellent cast with Casey Affleck, Forest Whitaker, Sam Shepard, Willem Dafoe, Zoey Saldana, and Woody Harrelson.

He is not just Batman

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only one complaint (albeit a small one).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The final shot of the movie showing the good guy wins.
Kinda spoils what would have been an excellent ending.

For those who watch this movie, you'll know what I mean.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack  /t/1526667/out-of-the-furnace/0_60#post_24592500

Looks good. Never heard of this or "the way I live now". Thanks for posting them
Both are worth a look IMO.

I don't always go for blockbusters and do seek out the lesser stuff, especially by people who have done well for me in the past.

·
23,018 Posts
Watched the BD last night. Almost a snooze fest. Cookie cutter hollywood cliche plot. Average at best acting. Fight scenes were the only things worth waiting for. And now that I think of it, in a way, this is a really crappy wannabe of The Deer Hunter
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) but there was no "happy" ending in The Deer Hunter

larry

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper  /t/1526667/out-of-the-furnace/0_100#post_24620125

Watched the BD last night. Almost a snooze fest. Cookie cutter hollywood cliche plot. Average at best acting. Fight scenes were the only things worth waiting for. And now that I think of it, in a way, this is a really crappy wannabe of The Deer Hunter
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) but there was no "happy" ending in The Deer Hunter

larry
I know man, it was about as bad that other similar small time city gang Killing me Softly. I sort of knew deep down from the trailer but watched it anyways mainly cause of Bale but the script was just weak & lame. Plus another thing that didn't help wais B Affleck's younger brother, he was weak in Gone baby done and he's still can't pull a tough guy act.

Somebody needs to tell him both movies he came across more like a choir boy trying to be a bad boy. That's pretty sad that someone like J Timber Lake has more mojo than him who's been in the business longer with a big brother for help. Ever since Equilibrium, it seems like I'm loosing interest in his movies a little bit over time. His last decent film was Flowers of War & The Mechanic. Don't even get me started on Batman either.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I actually liked this. It felt very real. There are places in West Va. I would avoid like the plague.

Even thought Casey wasn't half bad. I think it's his voice that ruins it for him, but there isn't much you can do about that.

Woody always plays a great badass.

It was predictable, the opening music lets you know that, but it does provide a slow rise in tension that leads to the inevitable conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1526667/out-of-the-furnace#post_24592505

I have only one complaint (albeit a small one).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The final shot of the movie showing the good guy wins.
Kinda spoils what would have been an excellent ending.

For those who watch this movie, you'll know what I mean.

I'm not sure how to interpret that, what looked to be a still frame, ending.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I admit it isn't hard to guess the final act, but it is still well done.

Atmosphere and good acting go a long way here.

As for the real W. Virginia, I defer to your expertise in the matter.

I spent some time in the Ozarks while a young piglet and it convinced me to stay very far away from the remnants of the old Confederacy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Caught this on a plane yesterday (2 thumbs up for Delta's new entertainment system), quite liked it. I've always liked Christian Bale's non-Batman performances and this was no exception. Good cast, I even liked Casey Affleck. I thought the choir boy aspect actually suited the character, he clearly wasn't really cut out for what he got himself into. I thought the depiction of the run down Pennsylvania town was perfect and have always assumed there are awful hillbillies in various parts of NJ
so that aspect was also well done.

jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts