AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my htpc is kinda slowing down and could use a windows refresh. Do people like windows 8 with media browser? Or just stick with 7? I have a copy just sitting here collecting dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts
Win8 works fine, but you'll have to buy the WMC add-on for Media Browser to function.


Trying out Win8 at Best Buy isn't going to work since they don't let you install StartIsBack. Once you install a start button replacement most of the crying stops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23278200


Win8 works fine, but you'll have to buy the WMC add-on for Media Browser to function.


Trying out Win8 at Best Buy isn't going to work since they don't let you install StartIsBack. Once you install a start button replacement most of the crying stops.

One could argue that you aren't really trying it out if you immediately disable the start screen and go back to the start menu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
I use 7Stacks almost exclusively in Win7 instead of desktop shortcuts or the start menu. Does that mean I'm not really using Windows 7?


Win8 is a great OS and if you miss the start menu, there are several easy solutions to fix that, just like 7Stacks improves the user experience for me on Win7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts
You also aren't using Windows if you use Photoshop instead of Paint or Word Pad instead of Word. Don't even think of playing a game other than Minesweeper or Solitaire...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23284860


I use 7Stacks almost exclusively in Win7 instead of desktop shortcuts or the start menu. Does that mean I'm not really using Windows 7?


Win8 is a great OS and if you miss the start menu, there are several easy solutions to fix that, just like 7Stacks improves the user experience for me on Win7.
No. That just means you aren't judging the OS on its own merits. You're judging 7Stacks, and the previous poster is judging StartIsBack. No problem with either of those, but they're not part of the OS. That aside, the Win 7 interface is still functional without any add-ons, but Win 8 is not (except for children and monkeys).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285036


No. That just means you aren't judging the OS on its own merits. You're judging 7Stacks, and the previous poster is judging StartIsBack. No problem with either of those, but they're not part of the OS. That aside, the Win 7 interface is still functional without any add-ons, but Win 8 is not (except for children and monkeys).
I put Win8 on my HTPC and think it works great. It's definitely a much smoother OS than 7. I don't like the Start screen, but I still use it for the Netflix app to get full HD + 5.1. The rest of the time I'm on the desktop or using XBMC and I have zero complaints. I didn't install anything to bring back the Start menu or disable the Start screen because there's really no need to. If you absolutely can't deal with the new setup, go ahead and install an app, but in every other regard 8 is an improvement over 7.


I can't speak to the Media Browser, though, since I didn't buy that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud sloth  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285072


I put Win8 on my HTPC and think it works great. It's definitely a much smoother OS than 7. I don't like the Start screen, but I still use it for the Netflix app to get full HD + 5.1. The rest of the time I'm on the desktop or using XBMC and I have zero complaints. I didn't install anything to bring back the Start menu or disable the Start screen because there's really no need to. If you absolutely can't deal with the new setup, go ahead and install an app, but in every other regard 8 is an improvement over 7.


I can't speak to the Media Browser, though, since I didn't buy that.
How do you boot straight to XBMC? How do you operate Win 8 if you have no keyboard? How can you even read the start screen from 10 ft away? How can you find or run any apps without typing? How do you completely power off your PC (not suspend) without going completely insane? How do you control the Netfilx app with a regular remote?


I just don't see how Win 8 is usable as an OS, much less an HTPC interface, at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285036


No. That just means you aren't judging the OS on its own merits. You're judging 7Stacks, and the previous poster is judging StartIsBack. No problem with either of those, but they're not part of the OS. That aside, the Win 7 interface is still functional without any add-ons, but Win 8 is not (except for children and monkeys).

Not at all. The OS is more than just the start screen or desktop. That's just the GUI. Win8 has some grat performance advantages over Win7 for instance.


Win8 is fully functional without any add-on. Just because you don't like the new GUI doesn't mean its not functional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285163


How do you boot straight to XBMC? How do you operate Win 8 if you have no keyboard? How can you even read the start screen from 10 ft away? How can you find or run any apps without typing? How do you completely power off your PC (not suspend) without going completely insane? How do you control the Netfilx app with a regular remote?


I just don't see how Win 8 is usable as an OS, much less an HTPC interface, at this point.

The questions you are asking make it seem as if you have nevrer used Win8. ANY app can be made into a tile and Netflix adds its own tile (And its pretty easy to identify as Netflixc). Why would you completely power off your HTPC? And even if you would, how is the problem with that any different than with Win7?


As for remotes, I haven't triend an MCE remote with it, but the Lenovo N5901 works just as great as it does on Windows 7 so not sure what you are complaining about.


I could ask all those same questions about Windows 7 just as easily. The Windows 7 desktop is no more useful (or useless) sitting on your couch than the Windows 8 Start Screen. You're not making any sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285163


How do you boot straight to XBMC? How do you operate Win 8 if you have no keyboard? How can you even read the start screen from 10 ft away? How can you find or run any apps without typing? How do you completely power off your PC (not suspend) without going completely insane? How do you control the Netfilx app with a regular remote?


I just don't see how Win 8 is usable as an OS, much less an HTPC interface, at this point.

He said he uses it with zero complaints. You don't use it, but you have many complaints. Something seems odd.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,964 Posts
For WMC use, Win 7 is a much better experience than Win 8. I have WMC on my Win8 machine and have a WMC Win7 machine as well. After using Win8 for quite some time now, I prefer it over Win7 for everything EXCEPT use as a HTPC. For HTPC, stay with 7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285270


He said he uses it with zero complaints. You don't use it, but you have many complaints. Something seems odd.
I posted the things that I tried to do with it and failed, so I no longer use it. Just trying to save others a little pain and expense. I understand that a few use it and like it. I just don't understand how. I bought several copies of Win 8 because it's inevitable that I will have to switch at some point. I just hope that isn't anytime soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285292


For WMC use, Win 7 is a much better experience than Win 8. I have WMC on my Win8 machine and have a WMC Win7 machine as well. After using Win8 for quite some time now, I prefer it over Win7 for everything EXCEPT use as a HTPC. For HTPC, stay with 7.

I agree. For a HTPC using Win8 has no real benefit over Win7 and actually costs more for two reasons. First is you have to pay for WMC add-on and second is you can only add WMC to the Pro version. If it wasn't for the free WMC upgrades and the $15 Pro offer then my HTPC would still be on Win7.


For any other computer I'd go with Win8 and if you can't live with Metro then spend the free to $3 for a Start button replacement and associate file types such as .jpg to open with the desktop program instead of the Metro app. I've set up at least five Win8 computers for friends and family since Christmas and have had no complaints at all, even from my wife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285299


I posted the things that I tried to do with it and failed, so I no longer use it. Just trying to save others a little pain and expense. I understand that a few use it and like it. I just don't understand how. I bought several copies of Win 8 because it's inevitable that I will have to switch at some point. I just hope that isn't anytime soon.

Windows is on a yearly update cycle. I doubt you'll have to use your copies of Win 8 between now and October. Rumor is that the next version will include some sort of Start button, but more like a mini-Metro screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,447 Posts
I have no interest in getting into yet another (useless) debate on Windows 8 but you asked a question that I will answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285260


And even if you would, how is the problem with that any different than with Win7?
With Windows 7, you can add any app to your Startup folder of the start menu and be greeted with that app on startup. With Windows 8, even if you happen to find the Startup folder, you are still not greeted with that app on startup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285270


He said he uses it with zero complaints. You don't use it, but you have many complaints. Something seems odd.
It would be less odd if the person with zero complaints didn't use it and the person with many complaints did? (Rhetorical question)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97  /t/1471273/out-of-the-loop-windows-8-and-media-browser#post_23285260


The questions you are asking make it seem as if you have nevrer used Win8. ANY app can be made into a tile and Netflix adds its own tile (And its pretty easy to identify as Netflixc).
I know how to make tiles and shortcuts. But how do you CONTROL Netflix with a remote (play, pause, ffwd, up/down/left/right, etc.)?
Quote:
Why would you completely power off your HTPC?
Because I would fry my motherboard if I installed RAM or a PCI card or something else without powering down. Do you do that kind of thing hot?
Quote:
And even if you would, how is the problem with that any different than with Win7?
Because I can power down Win 7 with 2 clicks versus playing hide and seek for 5 minutes on Win 8 (Charms - Settings - etc, etc. You've got to be kidding me).
Quote:
As for remotes, I haven't triend an MCE remote with it, but the Lenovo N5901 works just as great as it does on Windows 7 so not sure what you are complaining about.
I don't use a keyboard/mouse on my HTPC, I use a remote. Works fine with Win 7, epic fail with Win 8. Why exactly would I (or anyone in my family) want to use a keyboard and mouse to watch TV?
Quote:
I could ask all those same questions about Windows 7 just as easily. The Windows 7 desktop is no more useful (or useless) sitting on your couch than the Windows 8 Start Screen. You're not making any sense.
Last time I saw the Win 8 start screen and the 300 or so programs I had installed, it was a screen full of unorganized, illegible text from 10 feet away. How do I navigate or make use of that with a remote? On Win 7, I can get to any program with a couple of button presses and arrows because the start menu is limited to only the categories I choose and easy to read and navigate.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top