AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is DNNA's repair policy for an out-of-warranty unit? I upgraded my unit with a larger drive and now it doesn't work. Can I get an RMA from them and pay for the repairs? If so, is it a flat fee or by the hour? Would I just be better off buying a replacement unit?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
DNNA's Policy is once you open the box it's your 4 ever. No repairs done even if you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
What exactly is wrong with the unit? Somebody here might be able to help you fix it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
DNNA's Policy is once you open the box it's your 4 ever. No repairs done even if you are willing to pay.
Has DNNA chaned with the purchase from Sonic Blue? It used to be a flat $199 to repair units out of warranty. I can't imagine a company would not offer a repair service for out of warranty units that had not yet been listed as "obsolete."

Judge

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The policy was *always* "you open it, you screw yourself out of official repairs." Even if you pay. People got around it *sometimes* by hiding it from the phone guy and hoping tech support didn't notice when they got the thing.

Others had to pay two way shipping after they were told that support wouldn't have anything to do with their opened box.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The "open bx and break seal" issues is all about whether they repair the unit "free of charge" under the "factory" warranty. If the unit has been "opened," they are more than happy to take your $199.

I know one person who did it out of warranty and I know of one person who had issues with a refurb and he was able to get it covered under warranty (with a little help).

My advice would be to call DNNA Support, tell them you have a unit out of warranty and you would like to return it under the $199 RMA for repair.

Judge

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, there's 'out warranty' time-wise, and then there's 'broken seal'... So, the $199 applies to both or not?

·
Registered
841 Posts
OK, have you tried putting the original drive back in? Did you low-level format the new drive before imaging and patching it? Have you tried re-imaging the new drive and re-patching? Does it power up? What exactly does, "now it doesn't work", mean?

Bye. :cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by zabolots
What is DNNA's repair policy for an out-of-warranty unit? I upgraded my unit with a larger drive and now it doesn't work. Can I get an RMA from them and pay for the repairs? If so, is it a flat fee or by the hour? Would I just be better off buying a replacement unit?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Well, there's 'out warranty' time-wise, and then there's 'broken seal'... So, the $199 applies to both or not?
Once again. The policy is you open it, no official repairs. In warranty out of warranty whatever. Now you send it in and the repair guy/gal don't notice it or don't give a damn, then you are in luck. If your not lucky you get back the same broken unit.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
You should try reinstalling the drive. When you made the upgrade did you end up touching too much stuff inside? Tried putting in the original drive back in?

Sounds like you have alot of options before you'd Want to send it back in.

cow

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
You should try reinstalling the drive. When you made the upgrade did you end up touching too much stuff inside? Tried putting in the original drive back in?

Sounds like you have alot of options before you'd Want to send it back in.

cow
Here's the original thread describing my problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=303635

Read that, then, add the following to it:

Quote:
Actually I've got bigger problems now. At some point during my testing I smelled smoke and now even when I move the PCB with the IR receiver from my good unit to the bad unit, I still have problems with the bad unit. I think I'm gonna have to send it in to DNNA.
Since there's no guarantee that Replay will fix my unit (since I cracked it open) and the repair cost is actually more than a new unit, I'm just going to order a replacement unit from Buy.com.

I wish Amazon still had them 'cuz I've got a $50 promo certificate from the last 5060 I bought. Unfortunately they've only got the 5500's in stock now.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I must say you are taking this well. ;)

I'm still hurting over a brand new $500 486/33mhz motherboard. I fried doing my very first Home PC upgrade :cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
So how many of you have personally returned a Replay 4000 or 500 out of warranty and opened under and RMA?

I have a hard time believing they are going to walk away from $200 and a 30 minute repair. Lets face it there are only four compents in the thing and any of them take about 15 minutes to swap out; a motherboard (which probably costs $30 after R&D and production startup), power supply (which probably costs $10), hard drive ($20 - $30), and the PCB for the power switch ($5).

If they don't want to fix them for $200, maybe I should call them and make a deal to be a ReplayTV Authorized Service Center.... :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I always keep my seal intact on wax paper and the original drive handy, even when my drives are out of warranty, just to be safe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
I always keep my seal intact on wax paper and the original drive handy, even when my drives are out of warranty, just to be safe.
How do you get the darn thing off without damaging it??

In fact, on my 2nd unit the sticker was partially torn when I pulled the unit out of the box!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
I must say you are taking this well. ;)
$140 isn't worth crying over. I knew I was taking a chance when I cracked the unit open.

Of couse if I had paid for the lifetime subscription rather than monthly I'd be a lot more upset about the whole situation (and so would the wife)!

I must say that I was careful during the procedure and was quite surprised that something was damaged, but again, I have only myself to blame.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by melduforx
Why don't you try to buy a junked 5xxx and swap out the PCB for the IR?
Believe me, I'll be watching Ebay from now on for a dead unit that I can use for parts!

Scott

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zabolots
How do you get the darn thing off without damaging it??

In fact, on my 2nd unit the sticker was partially torn when I pulled the unit out of the box!
A hair dryer on high works well.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
you could try buying a non-working 5000 on ebay and bank that the part you need is in there. Then turn around and sell it on ebay as non-working.

Don't know if you noticed MikeyBoys offer... in the other thread he said he could get it to work for $55 or $59..something like that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.