AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did some more reviewing of press releases looking for new stuff, and reread the old "Tivo is God's Machine" story and saw that it was picked up in this AVS thread .

The political argument quickly got off topic, but what I found most interesting about the news story was the last bit, where they mentioned that the WB was designing a show with the commercials written in to the content.

Now, that may suck from some users' points of view, but I think it's a good thing. Let me explain...

Rather than getting lawyers to battle to legislatively mandate that the old biz model of commercial breaks be enforced by technology, WB is trying to innovate. They, too, see Commercial Advance as a risk to their revenue, but rather than just trying to outlaw CA, they are also trying to adapt and keep advertisers interested without relying on the DOJ. We viewers are voting with our purchases of CA-enabled machines that we don't want the commercial breaks, and WB sees that. Maybe we'll also vote against embedded ads if they are too distracting, but at least we are getting options from WB.

As much as we don't like commercials, the fact is that advertisers do pay for a lot of our favorite content. If we don't want advertising, then we have to pay for the content ourselves, as in pay-per-view or DVDs. There has to be advertising if we want free/below-cost content, and that advertising has to be effective for advertisers to pay for it. However, we as viewers and customers of the advertisers get a choice as to the type and delivery mode of advertising we are willing to tolerate and sponsor. This is what the MPAA is missing. Or maybe they're just lazy.

Just because them new-fangled "auto-mobiles" don't need whips doesn't mean that they should be banned by the buggy-whip-maker coalitions. They just need to switch from making whips to making "Rich Corinthian Leather" seats.

X.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ads embedded is the preferred for me because you are going to see more and more of this regardless of whether CA is outlawed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You forgot about the other alternative of the incredibly annoying add at the bottom of the screen during the show. It used to be jsut a small semi-transparent station logo... now there are ads there, and not just for upcoming shows!!! Man, I hate that.

As such, I'd rather have the commercial break than have the show corrupted. After all, the movement is to high-quality audio and video, but what good is that if the show or movie is unwatchable because of all the commercial crap.

I much prefer an uncorrupted show, then a break where they throw the ads at us. At least, if it becomes illegal to fast-forward, I can still mute, ignore, surf or (heaven forbid) turn it off!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah, there are bugs in the lower right, there are crawly ads along the bottom, there are half-screen ads during the credits, and there are text ads in the closed captioning.

The bugs are what gets me. I can't imagine the business model that attempts to build viewer loyalty by causing physical damage (screen burn) to the viewer's set.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like it where the market decides what dogfood they want to eat.

I can tell you:

I won't watch much TV where CA is locked out.

Ads embedded in story lines just causes me to turn off my TV.

And I already have PPV TV, and I have NEVER watched a PPV show.

And never will.

Now, I am not "normal". But I will answer this the same way I would answer the eternal question of how to end spam.

Spam will END, just as soon as EVERYONE STOPS responding to spam. If enough people respond to spam, spam will keep coming. If enough people watch PPV, PPV will grow. If you like seeing ads woven into the storylines, just keep watching them.

The alternative is to say no. No, not once. No, not at all. Take a stand, and live with the consequences.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I already have subscription based television. There is only one channel that can be recieved in my area without paying a fee. Since this is brought up the obvious response to cable companies that say skipping commercials is stealing because it violates an 'implied part of the contract', is that in fact the cable companies are stealing because we have paid for the programming. ( I have cancelled check to prove it.) And at least here in California, there are labor laws that say if you work you get paid. SO...Since the cable companies/networks charge for my actions (i.e. work) and I have not been paid for that work, they have stolen from me, as well as every other subscriber that has watched TV. At the least, they have commited tax fraud, as they are stating that our work has monitary value, and the IRS requires that you claim all revenue, even that obtained through barter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, this is what I think.

1. The CA doesn't work most of the time. (at least on the channels I watch). So I could do without it.

2. The 30 second and multi-minute skip is great, not only to skip commercials, but to skip past parts of a show you either don't want to watch or have already seen.

3. Sharing programming across the internet from the Replay unit, I'm sure we wouldn't miss it as you can always extract the MPEG and send it by normal file transfer options. BUT, sharing between a few of you own units should not be removed. You should always be able to record in the Family Room and play back in the bedroom.

4. Being able to burn to DVD would be nice on new units. May USB DVD-Writer support for existing units.

5. Playing/Storing MP3's would be very nice too.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.