AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new (to me) Samsung LN22B350 and an older Polaroid FLM323B.

The new Samsung is able to tune all the cable channels without a set top box, directly from the cable, and also gives a nice (to me) HD picture on HD channels with out the STB. Perfect. Beautiful. As it should be. Yes. Wow. Nice.

The Polaroid however has an OTA tuner and is unable to tune any channels directly from the cable feed. I have an antenna on the roof and occasionally watch a little of the local channels as OTA HD. It does look better than the Comcast signal to my eyes. Most of the time though I rely on DVI/HDMI feed from a set top box.

I would like to add an external tuner, if possible, to the Polaroid so both TV's can operate functionally like the new Samsung. Independent of the STB.

I've read/searched on AVS, I've read both manuals. The answer escapes me. I'm missing something. I know OTA is over the air, and I see stuff about DTS, CATV.etc. but I'm still not sure what I should be looking for exactly. Any help/comments much appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You will need an external QAM tuner in order to receive unencrypted cable channels.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrp1 /forum/post/17045087

I have a new (to me) Samsung LN22B350 and an older Polaroid FLM323B.

The new Samsung is able to tune all the cable channels without a set top box, directly from the cable, and also gives a nice (to me) HD picture on HD channels with out the STB. Perfect. Beautiful. As it should be. Yes. Wow. Nice.

The Polaroid however has an OTA tuner and is unable to tune any channels directly from the cable feed. I have an antenna on the roof and occasionally watch a little of the local channels as OTA HD. It does look better than the Comcast signal to my eyes. Most of the time though I rely on DVI/HDMI feed from a set top box.

I would like to add an external tuner, if possible, to the Polaroid so both TV’s can operate functionally like the new Samsung. Independent of the STB.

I’ve read/searched on AVS, I’ve read both manuals. The answer escapes me. I’m missing something. I know OTA is over the air, and I see stuff about DTS, CATV.etc. but I'm still not sure what I should be looking for exactly. Any help/comments much appreciated.

Rick

Cable takes the ATSC signal from over-the-air Digital TV stations and converts it to QAM for use on their systems. Some HDTV's only have an ATSC tuner, others have a combined ATSC & QAM tuner.

As noted, you need a QAM tuner for receiving local HD from your cableco. The ZAT 502 should do the trick.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It gets confusing because many companies and users refer to digital tuners desinged to receive OTA digital signals modulated with 8VSB modulation all of the content of which is MPEG2 encoded using ATSC digital resolution standards as ATSC tuners.

The digital tuners in many HDTVs can also receive unencrypted QAM modulated digtial channels from a cable company which are also MPEG2 encoded using the ATSC digital resolution standards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My situation is two LCD TV's, in close proximity, in our Kitchen/Family room. The newer Samsung LN22B350 on kitchen counter and 3 yr old Polaroid FLM323B in the Family room. We have Comcast with the STB on the larger Polaroid and currently simply run the Samsung on chanel 3 with a cable and it "mimicks" whatever is coming through the STB. I know this is not ideal and no HD content is passed with this hook-up. However it is convenient for volume level and control of the channels.

I have hooked the Samsung direct to the cable and receive the local HD channels with the inboard tuner however there is a slight time lag when running Samsung inboard and Polaroid STB. The Polaroid is unable to tune the DTV channels from the cable. I'm under the impression it's internal tuner is an OTA only. I've been unable to tune any channels using only the cable connection. So...

I'm hoping with the Centronics Tuner will allow me to eliminate the STB currently feeding the Polaroid(we have no premium content subscription) and watch the unscrambled HD content on both sets concurrently. So to speak. It's a learning process, hopefully. Thanks much. Further comment encouraged. Rickisan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts