AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an old Radeon 9800 in my HTPC, but the fan is VERY loud. I also have an older Nvidia 5200 in the corner, which is passively cooled with no fan. Will watching movies @ 720p with this take a performance hit? I don't do any gaming on the HTPC. I just need this HTPC until the summer, where I will build a new computer.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Do you have a spare pc fan from an old case or power supply laying around? You can just hotwire that into your pc and set it in front of the radeon heatsink if all you need is to get by. My 9800pro's fan was bad so I took it off and did this over a year ago and it's still going stong and nice and silent since I wired the fan from +5 to +12 so it only gets 7 volts.

It's still getting more airflow than stock.

The 9800 is an ok card but I didn't want to invest even $20 in it given it's so old.

Troy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The case the htpc is in is already quite cramped, so I dont think I want to add another fan on top of it. Would I see a performance loss while watching movies with the 5200? I still have use for the 9800 in another computer if I swap it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I've never had a 5200 or anything in that series so I don't know.

Drop it in and try it.

Troy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.