AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I would like some free advice from this great forum, please.

Recent pool install and would like to put speakers outside. Right now I use a whole house system for speakers and video and want to put a set of speakers outside with an outdoor volume pot. That will be no problem.

I have a channel plus system (DA-8200 HHR amp 5 volt IR targets over coax) for whole house video and wondered about running a coax outside for the IR control to change sources, etc.

Question is, will that IR work outside in the sun or would I be wasting my time? I thought about putting it inside an outdoor enclosure somehow that has see through plexiglass. I know the IR range may be small and that is fine.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have...

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Hi, been a little while so you may have moved on, however... technically an IR transmitter/receiver will work outside. However, with much sunlight it may be difficult. If the receiver is in direct sunlight, I doubt it would work well at all. I'd suggest going with an RF system instead to avoid any potential IR issue...

HTH

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anyone else that's a DIYer, it is VERY possible to use IR outside.. BUT.. depending on the sun, your receiver location, whether the wind blows, if your standing on one foot.. it may not always work.

Easiest (probably not cheapest) and surefire method is to just get a good universal remote with and RF base.

Pros.. will always work (except when remote batteries are dead)

no problems with HZ rate for different equipment

easy set up, no running wires, etc

Cons.. it's a remote (kids, dogs, wives are all against you knowing where it is at any given time)

Cost is always a little more I'm sure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.