AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given permission to run a few speakers outside (and finally toss my wireless speakers) as we will likely be doing some entertaining this fall outside (once the weather drops below 100
). In any event, I am not looking for anything too fancy, mainly utilitarian background music. Attached is a PDF of my backyard with the various "entertain areas" where I would like speaker coverage. A contractor is already going to run a conduit out of the house and to the rear of the "existing living room" for rear speakers in my "man room". I plan on running speaker wires for the outdoor system in this conduit. I have placed X's for the proposed speakers. Given the unusual shape of the backyard, it would probably best to have mono speakers (or at least run a mono feed to them). I plan on running them from a Zone 2 Onkyo 3008 (or 3009 when it comes out).

So here are my questions:

1. Do the speaker placements make sense? Better suggestions?

2. Speaker recommendations?

3. Volume control will probably be from the receiver, but is there an easy way to do something outside?

Thanks!

backyard_outdoor speakers2.pdf 117.625k . file

Attachments

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
It would help to have actual dimensions...

Yes you can have outdoor volume control, at the speakers...or in-line. What you have to remember about this type of volume control, it is really a volume reduction. You have to turn the amp UP, then turn each volume control down...which still leaves the amp screaming along.

It would make more sense if you were to purchase an outboard amp that has its own matrix(depends if you would like more than 1 zone outside), then you can play as few, or as many, areas as you want...with no stress on anything.

This one is "overboard", but it gives you an idea...
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-MA1240-...2918070&sr=1-2

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just realized I may not be able to run the speakers from the Onkyo as I will have 7 channels dedicated to the home theater. I think there may be a Zone2/Front Wides that I can run from, but can you run the speakers in series? Sorry for the newbie question.....

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
There is another post where the guy ran 4 pairs of speakers in a combination series/parallel that kept his ohm load at 8. You could do that and run off the Zone 2 on the Onkyo, just depending on the wire distance(which is???????) don't expect great results. This other guys complete wire run was around 600 feet(the way he wired it, he used 150ft too much wire).

The worst case is, your Onkyo goes into protection mode...if so, run a pre-out to another amp(or amps)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to get more exact measurements, but it looks like the longest run will about about 140 feet.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
If you are dealing with 140ft, then you will be better served getting a dedicated amp for the 2nd zone. Then you'll even have further flexibility to create 2 zones out there, each with its own volume.

Give you an idea how simple running zones is...

The living room has an Integra DHC 80.2 runs 2nd zone(including video) for a Popcorn Hour into the bedroom.

The bedroom has an Integra DTR 8.8. The "2nd zone" goes into the receiver just like a DVD player/Cable sat box(component video and RCA analog audio).

The bathroom has a set of computer speakers ran off the Rocketfish RBAUX from the DTR 8.8's 2nd zone.

So, in the tub...if my wife wants to listen to "anything digital", she turns on the Popcorn hour, turns on the DHC 80.2 2nd zone...selects the input, then turns on the DTR 8.8's 2nd zone...then the bathroom speakers are last in line from the Popcorn Hour.

And "all of this" is ran with Xantech controls. All she has to do is stand in the bedroom turn on all three(there is a macro remote that fires off all the codes)...holds the remote for 10 seconds(enough time for all the codes to fire off)...then gets in the tub.

The 2nd zone on the DHC 80.2 never really gets turned off either. The only thing it is ever used for is the Popcorn Hour into the bedroom. The Popcorn Hour never gets turned off either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts