AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help determining where to place my outdoor speakers and how to mount then. I haven't purchased the speakers yet, but I am leaning toward a pair of Polk Atrium 4's. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00378KMEG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER).

I have a deck with 2 window bump outs, one of which has a small gazebo in front of it. Here is a picture of the back of my house.

Where would be the ideal location for 2 speakers to be placed? Most of my listening will probably be done on the deck, but I also want to be able to hear the music further out. I was thinking it might be best to put both speakers on the right-most bump out and angle them each outward, but I would like some expert opinions. Will that give me enough coverage? Another thing I considered was doing 4 speakers, 2 on each bump out, but I'm not sure that it makes sense to mount anything on the left-most bump out because those speakers would be partially/mostly blocked once the roof is on the gazebo.

Finally, once I determine the location, what would be the best way to mount the speakers. Is it possible to mount them to the underside of the aluminum soffits?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00378KMEG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Personally I would put one on each "bump out". What are we talking 20-25'? I have an area similiar to yours but it's all under one roof. I have mine on each side about 20' from eachother and it sounds good no matter where we sit. For me they are used as back ground noise when hanging out in the back yard. Typically you won't be blasting them if you have a group of people out there trying to hold a conversation so the wider stage would give you a better over all sound. That's my opinion anyways.

As far as mounting most speakers come with a bracket that can be mounted to a roof or to a wall depending on the brackets orientation. The speakers can have a little weight to them so you want to mount to a wall or a stud if you can. Also keep them as far away from the edge as you can while most are water resistant, they are not gonna be water proof in a heavy down pour.

As for the gazebo maybe put one speaker under the gazebo?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am really limited around the gazebo. Once the top goes on and the bushes fill in, it blocks most of the available mounting space in that area. The only possible location I can see for a speaker there is just a few inches to the right of the gazebo (and left of the porch lamp). If I put one there, then the second speaker would probably need to go either toward the right end of the right-most bump out, or even further to the right near the edge of the house (over the small window to the left of the downspout). My main concern with that setup would be the speaker near the gazebo and whether I would be able to hear it ok when sitting under the gazebo or will the sound be blocked/muffled by the gazebo roof?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
You might see if anyone makes speakers with swivel mounts. This would allow you to point them toward the backyard if u were throwing a party or something back there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For mounting to vinyl siding, do I need mounting blocks or can I just go directly through the siding with long screws?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
There should be OSB behind the siding so long screws should be fine. I don't have vinyl though so I'm not sure if there is a gap between the OSB and siding. If you press on it is it solid or does it flex? If it flexes you might push the siding in when you mount your speakers which would look strange.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I mounted mine right through the siding into the ply wood with long enough screws.

BTW, do yourself a favor and give the Emotiva UOM outdoor speakers a try. Can't be beat for $200. My neighbor had the Atriums and swapped them for the Emotivas I have. And his were new! He like the Emo sound so much better. MUCH better mids and lows than the Atriums. So far, 4 of my neighbors have purchased the Emos as well. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts