AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a zoned, wireless, outdoor speaker solution. I have Sonos inside and absolutely love everything about it;however, they have no outdoor solution besides buying a 400 dollar connector per zone.

Does anyone have any hack jobs for the actual Sonos speaker or system to have a normal outdoor speaker work outside.

Or, can someone recommend a 4 zoned outdoor speaker system controllable by a smartphone?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm looking for a zoned, wireless, outdoor speaker solution. I have Sonos inside and absolutely love everything about it;however, they have no outdoor solution besides buying a 400 dollar connector per zone.

Does anyone have any hack jobs for the actual Sonos speaker or system to have a normal outdoor speaker work outside.

Or, can someone recommend a 4 zoned outdoor speaker system controllable by a smartphone?
You need to decide how many speakers will be used, then determine the listening level. If you want to use 4 speakers, a reasonably-priced amp is the Audio Source AMP-100. It has Speakers A&B, two sets of input jacks with Input 2 being the priority and switching to Input 1 when the signal begins. It also turns on with signal or the power switch. Output is 50W/channel, so it's not a monster, but it works very well and I have installed this model with excellent results.

I you want a lot of speakers, you'll need to make sure the overall impedance isn't a problem for the amp. Niles, Parasound, Russound, URC, Dayton and others sell multi-channel amps that can feed anywhere from six (all of them) to 24 speakers (Parasound, which has two sets of speaker terminals per channel). I have used the Dayton and it worked great until the customer's husband splashed water in, through the vent on the top. I replaced it with the same model.

These two-input amps are great when you want a main source and a secondary source. I tend to design systems in more of an "out of the box" way and with the Dayton amp, I'm feeding two pairs of dual voice coil in-ceiling speakers with four channels, four channels are bridged for the deck speakers (with a Niles muting volume control) and four channels are bridged to drive a dual-voice coil subwoofer. The amp has switches that determine the input for specific channels, so there's no conflicts WRT signal.

If I wanted to do what you do, I would look at an amp with more than one input, use the line out from an existing Sonos (or something else) for one and if you want different music playing outside, a Sonos Link for that amplifier Once you have the outdoor speakers set up, you may be surprised to find that you want speakers in at least one other area. You may also decide that you want an outdoor subwoofer (or more).

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I'm not looking to add a new system if possible, but more looking to integrate a sonos hack.

I looked at the amp more, and it seems you can run up to 4 separate speakers from the amp, all would be one zone. I'm thinking this would be fine because I have never played different music in a zone, and I'm ok with having all outside speakers on at once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.