AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have a pair of Polk outdoor speakers I just purchased, and I'm wondering if you need outdoor speaker cable if you're not going to be burying the cable? (is the shielding necessary)? I live in Wisconsin, so there will be exposure to snow, and of course all temperatures possible.

TIA!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if not buried, the only real danger in using "indoor" speaker cable outdoors is its exposure to UV and extreme temperature changes, eventually the plastic insulation will crack and break down. An easy substitute is the 12v lawn lighting cable Lowes and Home Depot sell. It's 12 ga. and the insulation is heavy duty and formulated for outdoors. Another option would be in-wall type cable (CL2/CL3 rating), with an outer sheath over the two conductors inside. It will eventually break down, but you will get years of service out of it before you replace it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
+1 on the 12ga outdoor low voltage cable. I just checked a run across the top of my patio that is blasted by the sun all day. 2+ years and looks and sounds great, no cracks or breakdown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.