AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a couple outdoor directional speakers that I plan to hook up to a new receiver (Onkyo nr626 or nr 636). Of course I would like to not spend much $ and would like to best bang for the buck, but I guess I will spend up to $500 for a pair.

Should I look for speakers that have the biggest woofer as having the best bass?

What should I stay away from or companies that I should look for?

Also I'm using 14 gauge wire from the receiver to the speakers and the wire will range in length from 70' to 100'. Will I lose any of the power with that length?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Not a lot of experience with outdoor speakers, but I just stepped up from Polk Atrium 4 to Kef Ventura 6 and the SQ and the bass are much improved! Bigger drivers, better sound, better bass...and more expensive, so you do get what you pay for. I have heard the Def Tech AW6500 and those are good with excellent bass!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm currently using the Def Tech AW6500 for my outdoor speakers. I previously used a cheapo set of Yamaha outdoor speakers ($100 for the pair I think). They weren't terrible considering the price, but the Def Tech are definitely a step up. Bass response is decent, but you'll want a sub if bass is important to you.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Getting a lot of bass outdoors is very tough especially if you are covering a large area. It usually takes multiple subs around the perimeter, big subs, with lots of power.

The most power-efficient designs tend to be horns for midrange and treble; bass too but the horns get awfully large.

Bass is not really directional so I hope you have no neighbors, or invite them to the party...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I too have the Def Tech AW6500. I think they are crisp with moderate bass. The key with the def tech is where you place them as the have an active woofer and a passive bass radiator on the rear for added bass. Location will be key on these. But I would think even if the radiator isn't in the "best location" you would see equal base to say the Klipsch. I looked at the passive as bonus if I could place them correctly.

Outdoor bass is a tough one for sure, I would like more, but I'm not running subs etc. I have neighbors also. Overall the Def Techs are a solid choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm thinking about getting some Dayton Audio IO655 speakers. I can't get many reviews for them but I figure they'd be worth a shot. Their specs say 45-20,000 Hz Frequency Response. Probably a bit exaggerated but at like 1/4 of the price of the Def Techs (about $100/pair), they might be a good budget option with some decent mid-bass.
At your budget though, I'd be looking at the Def Techs. Otherwise, you could piece together a system with an outdoor subwoofer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts