AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any regulars on this forum point me in the direction of the best environmental speaker manufacturers.

Im only interested in SQ rather than units disguised as rocks or dog turds.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. Those look like the sort of thing Im after.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Depending on how loud or how far you want to go, EV and Community and many other pro companies make very large and loud outdoor capable speakers.

Servodrive I believe made the outdoor subs for the Mirage hotel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Coldmachine,

we usually use Tannoy Di5DC in our projects. They come with Tannoy's excellent dual concentric drive.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di5+DCt&s=51

Their big brother the Di8DC should be one of the be one of the best waterproof speakers available with its 8" dual concentric drive. I have a pair here but I never got the chance to listen to them. Please note these are quite big (15.92 x 10.24 x 10.25) but there are always ways to hide them in outdoors areas.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di8+DCt&s=51

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much guys, appreciate the help. I will look into every one of those.

A friend, whos seriously into 2 channel, told me yesterday that he had tried just about every one available and unbelievably, despite their other products, the Bose 251 was the one her preferred.

I'll need to be convinced, but Im not so stupid as to rule out anything.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charris /forum/post/13887186

Coldmachine,

we usually use Tannoy Di5DC in our projects. They come with Tannoy's excellent dual concentric drive.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di5+DCt&s=51

Their big brother the Di8DC should be one of the be one of the best waterproof speakers available with its 8" dual concentric drive. I have a pair here but I never got the chance to listen to them. Please note these are quite big (15.92 x 10.24 x 10.25) but there are always ways to hide them in outdoors areas.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di8+DCt&s=51

Those Di5DC look good. I can get a local dealer to get me a pair to try. The size isn't an issue. 8" is good and thier power rating is high too. Thanks

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/13898438

The near armadillos continue to be my preferred choice for around the pool 5 channel sound.

Thanks Peter. Thas a cpuple of people mention them. The A8s look good.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts

Quote:
The near armadillos continue to be my preferred choice for around the pool 5 channel sound.

Yes, the A8s do look good and I'm in the market for a pair. They're a bit cheaper than the Paradigms, Speakercraft and Tannoys. Likely won't be able to hear them, you're comfortable that they stack up well against these? My use is for just two speakers against the back wall of a large deck.

thanks

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr /forum/post/13899445

Yes, the A8s do look good and I'm in the market for a pair. They're a bit cheaper than the Paradigms, Speakercraft and Tannoys. Likely won't be able to hear them, you're comfortable that they stack up well against these? My use is for just two speakers against the back wall of a large deck.

thanks

Check this out. 40 outdoor units.

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...ducts/1451/328

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I'll look into those.

I think those Speakercraft OE8s will be hard to beat. They can handle 150w and go down to 40hz. I know I can have a listenig test of those, Polk, Klipsch, NEAR,Tannoy and Bose easily enough.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/13873368

Can any regulars on this forum point me in the direction of the best environmental speaker manufacturers.

Im only interested in SQ rather than units disguised as rocks or dog turds.

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for high-SPLs, as with your indoor HT, or more background music sorts of levels? Roughly what listening distances?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/13902159

Thanks, I'll look into those.

I think those Speakercraft OE8s will be hard to beat. They can handle 150w and go down to 40hz. I know I can have a listenig test of those, Polk, Klipsch, NEAR,Tannoy and Bose easily enough.

Those are voiced for near fieldie type sweet and rounded bu muffled at a distance, I have heard/sold enough of them, the Armadillo 8's are voiced better for far field. I urge you to move the dillos to the top of the list.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/13902310

Those are voiced for near fieldie type sweet and rounded bu muffled at a distance, I have heard/sold enough of them, the Armadillo 8's are voiced better for far field. I urge you to move the dillos to the top of the list.

I can test those listed by the weekend. A number of people,including my dealer, have made the same suggestion you have. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/13902356

I can test those listed by the weekend. A number of people,including my dealer, have made the same suggestion you have. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

I'm definitely interested to hear your impressions, thanks.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
This is a little off-topic, but are there places in your new house where you might be needing in-ceiling speakers? If so, give a listen to Noble Fidelity L-85's. I have a dedicated listening room and will have a dedicated theater soon, but I still like to try to get best possible sound in all locations, even for background and incidental music -- Dining room, Billiard room, kitchen, etc. I listened to a whole bunch of in-ceiling speakers and picked the Noble Fidelity L-85's. I am really happy with them. The Noble Fidelity L-85's sound way better than all of the other in-ceiling speakers I have heard. They have responsive, yet tight and musical bass for an in-ceiling, detailed, yet natural and open, never edgy. This helps them integrate into all different types of rooms, some with horrible acoustics, yet the L-85's still manage to sound amazingly good. If you are looking for in-ceiling speakers that sound really good, as unbelievable as that sounds, put them on your list of speakers to check out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Niles OS7.5s in this thread so far. When we built a new rooftop deck off our 2nd story loft last year I did beaucoup research on this subject. The end result was a trio of the OS 7.5s driven in Trifield as a second zone by a Meridian 541 pre-pro, a 557 (200w/ch) and a 505 (160w/mono) off of our living room Meridian surround system. It sounds killer, goes way loud when required, and doesn't require a sub to offer decent outdoor bass. Highly recommended!

Happy Trails!
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 168 Posts