AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am looking for guidance on outdoor speaker selection (up to 4) and a system that is independent of my main floor av receiver (Denon AVR2113CI). The reason why, is because i dont want to go in the house to change the volume or select the right input. I am thinking about some sort of system that i can control via bluetooth ( i think)

i am in Toronto, Canada, therefore i will face all the elements (snow, ice rain, rain, full sun, etc) and I also wont have a cover for the speakers, they will be exposed.

any thoughts?

what are other people doing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I dont have an answer but I'm also very interested in the topic. I'm in North Dakota and need two outdoor speakers in ceiling for a covered deck. I do plan to use sonos connect amp to power and run them with my phone though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take a serious look at Technomad Speakers. They only design speakers for outdoors and thats it. I have experience with the smallest in the Technomad lineup the "Vernal". We used these to replace faulty Niles/Klipsch systems here in N.S. Both locations were exposed to salt water 365 days of year and eventually died. The Technomads have been there for over 10 years now and are like new. Remember all the other companies make great systems for HT or music in a room in your house not for a theme park in a waterfall or the deck of a cruise ship or even the U.S military. The Technomads are basically bullet proof but they also sound as good if not better than any other. Cheers good luck

http://www.technomad.com/articles/t...olors-for-range-of-weatherproof-loudspeakers/

·
Registered
230 Posts
Apparently Technomad also have weatherproof amplifiers as well. Worth checking out otherwise u may want to keep it simple and just get a basic system from Russound ect. If u can live with one source playing through your 4 speakers and simple basic control from equipment location you'll save a lot of money. as soon as u introduce more complex control budget will shoot up. My advice spend the money on the Technomads than go from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Def Tech AW6500. I have them hooked up to my Denon 3312 and run as Zone 2 outside. These speakers sound amazing. It literally sounds like a concert 2 house over when I turn them up. They also have decent bass for outdoor speakers. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Def Tech AW6500. I have them hooked up to my Denon 3312 and run as Zone 2 outside. These speakers sound amazing. It literally sounds like a concert 2 house over when I turn them up. They also have decent bass for outdoor speakers. Highly recommend them.
Another vote for Def Tech AW6500. I've had mine for two years, they play loud and clear. Couldn't be happier

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the Emotiva UOM-6.2, but I REALLY want to try the Def Tech AW6500 as well. The Emotiva I have are 3 season old and spent the entire NY winter outside. Great sounding and very deent bass output. 4 of my neighbors have purchased them since hearing mine.

On my Denon AVR-X4100 they are zone 2 and run independently of my 5.1 setup in the living room. I can even turn on the receiver from my phone, choose sources, run through my Pandora list all from my phone or Ipad. Love this setup.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
A few fellow AVS members are using Tannoy Di 6 DC for Atmos ceiling speakers. Yep.........outdoor speakers!!!! :eek:

Had a chance to hear same speakers in a highly respected members dedicated theater room........................all I can say is spectacular!

At first thought....................was scratching my head on idea using outdoor speakers for dedicated theater room...............but after hearing Di6Dc's, I was amazed and am sold!

Have listened to Def Tech AW6500's a month or two ago........................nowhere near quality sound of Tannoy's. ;)

As far as Tannoy's holding up to the elements..........no idea, but sound and dispersion is fantastic!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use a Polk Omni A1 amp wired to a Pair of DefTech AW6500's and two cheap Monoprice rock speakers. I think i'm underpowering the system a bit, but, it sounds good to me and has all the function of 'play-fi' behind it. You control it through wifi from your phone or tablet and the app has a dozen or so internet streaming sites built in OR with a Windows tablet, you can play ANY audio open on the tablet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts