AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been thinking of getting Sonance Mariners for outdoors for my patio. Is this a good brand or is there something better in its price range (about $300 per pair).

Also, are there good waterproof controllers for outside, similar to the Niles Intelli-Pad controllers used inside?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Last spring I got a pair of Mirage Oasis outdoor speakers. Once I mounted them under the eaves above my deck, I was amazed at the quality of their sound! I was told there would be minimal bass but boy was I surprised. Nothing like a sub, but no where near the cheap tinny sound I've heard from other outdoor speakers. I can't remember if they were $299 or $399. Keep one thing in mind when you listen to outdoor speakers in the store - they will sound totally different outside. Placing them under the eaves of your roof really increases their bass response, at least it sounds that way.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Any updates to this. I am looking for some outdoor speakers for about 300 bucks for a pair

·
Registered
312 Posts
Early last summer, I was checking on outdoor speakers. My plan was to buy the Infinity outriggers as I had a pair previously installed outside on my houseboat. They sounded great, and I was very happy with the quality of the sound. While I was looking last summer, listened to the Infinitys as well as offerings from Niles, JBL, and Polk. I even listened to the Bose but was very disappointed. One day I was in Costco and ran across the Advent Calypso, and outdoor speaker. The cost was less than $50 a pair. I picked them up and was very surprised at the weight, very solid. I brought them home, mounted them below the eaves, and the sound was great. Plenty of bass, vocals sound great, and the high end is acceptable. I would recommend you check these out. I am not sure what return policy Costco has, but I would say go spend $50 for a pair. If they don't sound good enough for you outside, them use them in the garage or even as paperweights!

I know these are considerably less than you wanted to spend. I still think you should check them out.

patrick

Here are the specs.

Frequency Response 55Hz-20kHz 3dB

Woofer 51/4" long throw polypropylene

Tweeter 1/2" ferrofluid-filled black dome

Sensitivity 90dB (2.83v @ 1 meter)

Impedance 8 ohms

Recommended Amplified Power 10-125 watts

Peak Power Handling 175 watts

Crossover Frequency 3 kHz

Finish Black

·
Registered
354 Posts
Everytime I read a post about outdoor speakers, I wonder what kind of neighborhood the poster lives in. Given our differing tastes in music, and our occasion desire for silence, I doubt if any of my neighbors will be playing anything I might wish to hear at a time when I might want to hear it. There's a lot of new home construction going on around me, and the roofers and framers like to listen to their radios played loudly. This doesn't bother me much because they stay only a few days. But someone installing outdoor speakers as a part of their home construction would not meet with my approval.

Maybe you guys live on big estates so the sound doesn't carry to the next house.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, opinions on Bose notwithstanding, I have two pair of Bose 151s (one pair under the patio eave for about 7 years, one pair on the deck with the hot tub for about 3 years) and have been very happy with them. Listening outdoors is nice; we (the kids and I) put on what we call our 'backyard' music when outside working or playing. Haven't had any complaints from the neighbors yet. I put in the weatherproof Niles volume controls to control volume for each pair separately.

The 151s were ruggedly built, I belive, and the sound is nice, considering the outdoor locations.

I bought them for $239 a pair.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rereading my post I realize my comments sound pretty stuffy with regards to noise pollution from outdoor speakers. My kids are long grown and gone, but we once lived in a home with an outdoor pool. The kids loved to crank up the radio volume or blast a tape through the neighborhood. I tried to exert some influence on toning it down, but I wasn't always home. Just how loud this could be would come home to me once in a while when the teenagers two doors down had a party around their swimming pool and the neighborhood vibrated into the night. Since this happened only a couple of times a summer, we didn't complain.

There's a lot of compromise to being a neighbor.

My current fetish is light pollution which threatens my other hobby, astronomy. When I have my telescope set up in the driveway, I throw a black cloth over my head like a 19th century photographer. But I campaign around the street to use outdoor lights that direct the light DOWN and not out. Fortunately we have no street lights as such.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodbuster
Rereading my post I realize my comments sound pretty stuffy with regards to noise pollution from outdoor speakers.
:)

Quote:
Originally posted by patrick21

I know these are considerably less than you wanted to spend. I still think you should check them out.

Um, Let me clarify. I want to spend 1 dollar. Yes just 1 dollar, but that is unrealistic, so I thought I would raise the amount. The more I look, the more I am finding that my origional price was higher than it may have needed to be. Since this is for an outdoor application I am not concerned with these speakers sounding like my home theater. I just want them for nice background music.

With this said, I am going to start looking at the lower end of the price spectrum. Save some money here, and buy more somewhere else!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.