AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a projector for my backyard home theater . It must be capable of projecting 70 ft and 55 ft. Also what size screen would i need at these distances ? The screens will be portable so what materials would you recommend?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,992 Posts
I suggest you check out the Vivitek line-up. There you'll get a high lumen PJ (5200 -single bulb-)for a decent price (D5000 is under $3K), and they offer a Long Throw lens for approx $700. You will need a LTL, make no mistake, and the price listed above is about 1/2 of anything else on the market.

You'll need all those lumens too. The above suggestion is based on your very real needs. No single lens PJ will fit the Bill. At just 50' throw, unless a long throw lens is employed, your screen size would have to be far beyond your ability to accommodate.

Knowing what's available out there helps, and the suggested combo above is the only viable choice for under $6-7K. You should get out for $3.6K max.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20933351

and the suggested combo above is the only viable choice for under $6-7K. You should get out for $3.6K max.

nec np3250 and navitar lens works too.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelljbell /forum/post/20935289

nec np3250 and navitar lens works too.

Out of Production and discontinued. Still sold but primarily a "Overstock / Close-out" item.

Also is LCD and so has no sealed Light path, important for PJs used inder varied dust and humidity conditions.

Poorer Contrast by a Country mile. (2500:1 DLP Contrast vs 600:1 LCD Contrast)

No HDMI. (fail)

.....and, it's probably about $100-300.00 more than the Vivitek

......but hey! It would work though.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,992 Posts
crretired,

What size screen do you want / hope to have?

As stated earlier, that throw distance mentioned....even the shorter 50' distance, dictates everything about what you will need to consider.

If this is a serious request for an upcoming project...let's make it happen!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts