AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to use the Niles VCS2DHP volume control for a set of outdoor speakers and am trying to figure out how to weatherproof it (its not intended for outdoor use) without having to spend another $80 for the Niles WDC100 weatherproof cover. I have sampled the cheap weatherproof covers you can get at Home Depot, but none had enough depth to accomodate the knob on the volume control. I know Niles and others make a volume control specifically for outdoor use, but I already have the VCS2DHP and would like to make it work if possible. I have already purchased a weatherproof box and extender deep enough to handle the unit and now just need a cover that works. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I can't give you specific advice but I can tell you that I have done this in the past with parts I found at Graybar Electric supply. Have you tried your local electrical supplier?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I did this exact same thing. I used a plastic outdoor "outlet" cover. It was designed as a cover for a duplex outlet that you would plug an extension cord into. It has a clear plastic cover with a hinge on the top. The cover is at least 2" deep from front to back. You can also find them in metal or solid gray plastic. I found the clear version at home depot.

Mine is under a shallow overhang by the house, so it does not get direct rain on it. But has taken some rain and lots of moisture, (I live near Seattle Washington where we know a thing or two about rain).

It has worked fine for going on 4 years now. Reed.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have the weatherproof version of the Niles, and it seems like I paid 80 bucks or so TOTAL, not an EXTRA 80 for the weatherproof housing.

Give Worthington Distribution a call, I bet they can help at a reasonable price. www.worthingtondist.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.