AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just put the indoor appliance modules in plastic baggies with the plug sticking through. Also the outdoor plugs have a lid to help shield them. Use them for controlling my landscape lighting and xmas lights. Worked great for about 3 years so far and all controlled from a PC. Of course, it helps that the weather here in AZ is not too extreme except for the summer heat (really does a number on those baggies :).

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Hi Mario,

Probably not the answer your are looking for, but...

I built a small enclosure out of 3/4" pine, about 14" high by 8" wide , 5" deep, with a hinged door that has a weather seal. For the roof I used a roof shingle and I painted the outside of the enclosure. It took about 2 hours for the project and it houses 8 X-10 outlets. The bottom half of the outlets are not X10 controlled, and that is where the universal modules are plugged in.

So with Main Lobby 2.0 in the works, you should have that spare 2 hours, don't you?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I've done the plastic bag thing for the last three years. Everything seems to work fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have also done the plastic bag trick for many years now (10+). I also do a doulble pail trick as well. I flip a small pail unside down and place the X-10 modules in a plastic bag on top with a extension cord going out to the lights. I then place a larger pail (5 gal) over the smaller pail. then I place a rock on top of it to hold it down. this just keeps the modules off the ground and out of the snow. I live in Michigan.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great ideas.

The plastic bag trick seems to work well so far. It's snowing outside and it seems to be taking the weather pretty good here.

Quote:
So with Main Lobby 2.0 in the works, you should have that spare 2 hours, don't you?
Joe,

It's almost there. I should have a release within the next 48 hours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been putting the appliance modules directly outside (since they are partially shielded by the box cover) for the past three years here in Chicago and have not had any problems.

Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Call it luck but I've also been doing the same thing as jgathe for about 2 yrs. My weather in Northern Virginia much milder than say Chicago. I have a brick construction at the front of the house and a deck at the rear so maybe they offer some protection. However, it's the rain rather that colder weather I would be most cautious about because it can fry the device. Plastic baggies seems like a very good idea though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.