AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walmart has a bunch of Warner Bros DVDs on sale for $9.96 each. Some examples are: all the Batman movies, the Lethal Weapon movies and a lot more pretty good titles. This seems to me to be a pretty good price, however I also pick up "Outland" which turns out to be the worst transfer I have ever seen. It is so bad I don't think I could set through 15 minutes of this movie. I usually give my daughter and her family any movies I don’t like, since I know they are not as particular as I am. However this transfer is so bad that I think the only thing this movie is good for is the trashcan. They also state on the back cover that this movie is enhanced for widescreen TVs, which was not the case (letterboxed, but not widescreen TV enhanced).

Don

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree! It's very poor. Sometimes I really wonder about people's pride in their work. Why even bother to put out something this bad.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I bought my copy of Outland about a year ago, and mine is great looking. Too bad the one you guys guys got was a flaky transfe. The lowest one I have is "Hang em High" with Clint Eastood. :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Well, Hob, to each their own, but I concur that OUTLAND is among the worst transfers from a major studio. It's HIGHLANDER bad.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
I bought my copy of Outland about a year ago, and mine is great looking. Too bad the one you guys guys got was a flaky transfe. The lowest one I have is "Hang em High" with Clint Eastood. :)
My experience is completely opposite to yours. Outland is very bad. It makes Hang 'Em High look like high definition. BTW, I have almost no doubt that your copy is identical to mine and everyone else's.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Well, Hob, to each their own, but I concur that OUTLAND is among the worst transfers from a major studio. It's HIGHLANDER bad.
Outland is indeed very bad. But two that are significantly worse are "An American President" and "Mr. Holland's Opus". I can watch almost any DVD. I can ever just barely watch Outland. But these other two are pretty much unwatchable. It's such a shame that the studios put out 5 versions of some movies and won't put out a single anamorphic half way decent DVD of these two movies. Might as well throw in Field Of Dreams. While not the worst DVD, it sure deserves a good anamorphic transfer.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I last seen it on my 32" panny I gave to

my church, to buy the F-38310. Peter Boyles films aren't the ones you watch over and over, I have him in also in "Swashbuckler" Robert Shaw (Jaws-Quint) James Earl Jones when he didn't peddle the Yellow Pages and he was a lot thinner. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hob-----

I remember seeing the swashbuckler theatrically and enjoyed it. Of coarse I was a lot younger then. I did not realize it was out on DVD, how is the transfer?

·
Registered
499 Posts
My wife has begun contributing to our DVD collection. Her goal is to replace some of her older favorite VHS movies. She got screwed on the last two, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, is the worse I have ever seen. I remember enjoying this movie in the old days, but this one we both found unwatchable. The other one, Goodfellas does not look that great, but is not in the same league as Robin Hood!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess we need to start a trend on which DVDs are not worth purchasing due to there bad transfer. This way we can check it from time to time and avoid the same mistake someone else has made.

Don

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I seen it tonight on the F-38310 for the first time ever, on a dedicated wide screen it's 2.35:1 was awful. Good story and sound, image sucked big time.

O/T MThomas Swashbuckler was a great 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen but mono sound. Robert Shaw, Genavieve Bujold, James Earl Jones in his thinner days and heavy played by Peter Boyle.

Shaw wore a colorful red pirate outfit. Robert Shaw died at age 53 he was fit looking in "From Russia With Love" the 2nd James Bond Film. I am 55 I outlived the actor I liked very much. I also liked Actor Richard Jordan who played Francis in Logun's Run and Brad Pitt in movie "Raise the Titanic, his last film was "The Hunt for Red October" the good actor die young.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.