AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading from a older Sony ES reciever soon. I already have a HK 5 channel amp at 100w x 5 which I will use if I get the Outlaw 950 and also will be adding a HK 2 channel 100 amp as well to configure my HT to a 7.1 just like the HK 7200 would already be able too. The question is then... which route would be better overall for HT (80%) and Music (20%) ? for me. The cost to upgrade would be essentially the same for either upgrade and I need some feedback to see which method everyone here would prefer. HK 7200 ~ $1000 verus Outlaw 950 + HK 2 channel amp ~ $1000 as well. Since I cannot audition both... I would love some feedback which one would have the best sound quality. Or would it be the same since they both will be using HK amp circuitry? Any help would be appreciated.

Cy

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can't answer you're questions about sound (haven't heard the Outlaw), but for the price, the Harmna Kardon gives you a few more features - triple crossover, multiple crossover frequencies on the 5.1 input, and Logic 7 are a few I can think of of the top of my head.

If you go the H/K route, you might want even to save some money and use the cheaper AVR-525 instead of the AVR-7200. I think the electronics are the same between the two units and the difference is in the beefier amps of the 7200, which you won't be using anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you already have an amp and like the 7200, you could also pick up the 525, use it mainly as a prepro, then use two of its amps to do 7.1. This option would be cheapest and give you everything the 7200 does (triple crossover, logic 7, etc). I think the 525 and 7200 are identical as far as processing.

The 525 does have a fan, but if you are only using two amps for the back surrounds, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't know what the 525 will do when driving only two channels, but it is quite a bit more than 70 watts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I'm reading the long thread about the separates vs. receiver now and trying to decide which route that I should go. My budget is around $1000 and I do already have a nice HK 100w x 5 amp. I guess I'm trying to get the best option possible for $1000 now. I didn't know that HK 7200 and 525 were essentially the same except for the power of amp. I guess that can be said about most receivers.. like Denon and Pioneer?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking through this forum and found what I might get next unless someone chimes and says otherwise. I really like the new Sony ES line of receivers that's about to come out. The one I would be interested in is the STRD3000ES which is around my price range. I have a older Sony ES receiver STRD30ES and I have been more than happy with it over 4 years now. Now if some one can say that Outlaw 950 will be better because it will sound better... I would like to know. But of course, no one was able to hear the new sony receivers yet so I have to wait for the reviews before I take my plunge.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My friend has a Sony STR-DB930, I'm sorry to say I'm not very impressed with it. Clairty is just not there. DD DTS, performance isn't bad, there is just no depth or soundstage to it. Sounds tin-ish.. I haven't demo'd the Outlaw 950, but others here have noted even going from Denon receivers to the 950 plus and amp, made a big diiference in sound quality.

·
Registered
12,431 Posts
Regarding the AVR 7200, check out its amplifier excellant sonics in the September/October Perfect Vision magazine review. It also went into their "RECOMENDED" components.

Maybe the Outlaw separates give you a little more of something but they also cost much more $ and take up double the space. Also you don't get the Logic 7 with the Outlaw controller.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've heard the HK and Outlaw 950 and IMHO the 950 sounds nicer. I could not detect a big difference between the back processing in the Cirrus on 950 and the Logic 7.

Also remember, the Logic 7 on these HK receivers does not work on DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 sources, whereas the Cirrus 7.1 will work on those.

I could detect less distortion and wider soundstage with the 950. The 950 DOES have the triple crossover. However for 5.1 analog input you will get a standard 80hz crossover.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
if u r interested in using hk avr7200 as a pre/pro only it's u r wasting its amps. 7200 reported to have a very amps as compare to other receivers. if i were u i would look into the hk dpr1001 instead. outlaw 950 is nice but i think it's getting old and ugly!

·
Registered
794 Posts
"Also remember, the Logic 7 on these HK receivers does not work on DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 sources, whereas the Cirrus 7.1 will work on those. "

This isn't true on the Lexicon Units. You can add Logic7 to DD and DTS using a 5.1 setup. I'm unsure about this HK unit.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I see quite a few posts boasting about the power of Logic 7. When it comes to 2-channel material, I don't have a taste for it. I still prefer DPL II. I can't imagine what Logic 7 would do to a DTS source.

With that being said, I'm not bothered that my AVR-7200 can't lay Logic 7 over DTS and DD sources.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.