AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Kinda cheap and cheezy looking, imho. I'll probably get one anyway.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm planning on getting one asap, but I have to say I think that it looks pretty lame.

It's that green button and big cartoony logo. Black electrical tape'll be fixing that from day one!

Otherwise, I'd just call it dull.

I've emailed 'em some brief suggestions, and recommend anyone who cares to do the same.

If they know that almost everyone out there hates the looks maybe the 'new wave' of pre/pros, amps, recs, universal disc players etc won't look as bad!

It's not like I'd even ask for some slick brushed alum. super think face plate with Outlaw etched into it, but man..., just make the power button black, or a less offending color like blue.

I think it'd be cool if the power button would be made of a dark blue plastic that was just slightly translucent and when on would glow (but just very dimly so it wouldn't bother anyone). Do that and change the logo to something cleaner and tougher with just a hint of it's own style (the Oakley sunglasses' lettering/logo comes to mind) and get rid of that foolish 'yeee-haaawww!' rodeo clown on the horse!

I personally don't think many other pre/pros look that cool though, but plain is better than dorky.

More importantly though, I think the guts look awesome!!!

Very neat/clean layout! Nice looking power supply. For those of us who want all the state of the art features, yet are too cheap or broke to afford 'em, it looks like Outlaw'll have us covered!

Now SHIP IT!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree on the logo and the button. The fascia actually looks acceptable when the logo and button are covered. I have to admit I have always wondered at the choice of the less than high end look to the amp and 1050, this continues down that road.

The button could of course be replaced and a badge used to cover the logo, but one voids the warranty and the other may look worse than the original logo. DO not get me wrong, these guys pull off miracles with the price point, but I think they need to invest a bit of that return on a visual impact study of their equipment (or better yet, realize it needs a new logo and button) and then fix any issues.

Jon

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow! It's really cheesy/cheap/ugly/.

I think someone had to try really hard to make it this ugly.

Outlaw guys could have made it less cheesy looking.

What were they thinking?

Outlaw is trying to sell to the high-end market with the 950.

It's going to be hard convincing that something this unattractive is better then a comparable unit from B&K, Denon, Tag, etc.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What else do you want for the price? I am sure they can make it look good and then charge 3,000$ for it. It is what it is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Outlaw puts the money were it belong, There are a lot of products out there that put too much emphasis on appearance vs. substance. If you want to impress your friends with how your equiptment looks than Outlaw is not thre brand for you. However if you want to impress them with how it sounds than Outlaw is the one.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I agree a few cosmetic changes could be had but did you guys see the layout inside fantastic!!! those machined pretty looking face plates cost $$$ and I would rather have maybe a blue button instead of green the logo would not be bad if it were a raised badge but over all good sonics are number 1 looks like from the inside layout its a winner like all of the other product they produce but that remains to be heard anyway I am about 95% sure to buy one before the price goes up. :D

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Hey, if they had made a conscious attempt to make it ugly, they would have put a picture of Sandra Bernhardt on the front panel.

Do any of you stare at your amplifier while you're watching a DVD in a dark room?? Really??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you all, as I said, no better for the price point in the industry. My question really comes in more on the decision process of choosing the green button and the logo.

After really thinking about it, and taking Paul's words from another thread stating the guys ARE from some high end companies. I almost believe they chose that color and logo BECAUSE they were not high end. They might well be making a statement to the high end guys "despite our look we sell". I can see that being a great joke among the owners.

In all actuality it is not UGLY but could, for the exact same price have a blue button versus green. And the logo could simply be

OUTLAW

and no price changes, and it would look 10-50% better. I will still buy one, I will still love it, but we all have dreams and wishes.

:D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bal
In all actuality it is not UGLY but could, for the exact same price have a blue button versus green.
For the same price? How did you figure that? The fact that Outlaw or their contract manufacturer would have to purchase and carry inventory for two buttons cost money that would get pass to the consumer; thats not even taking into consideration the ugly green button is probably not off the shelf, so I am sure there is a premium for making it blue. There is no free ride in this world. ;)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am another consumer who cannot entertain an Outlaw unit because of their aesthetics (or lack thereof).

Particularly, their icon is too scrappy, and the green/grey thing looks fisher-price-y.

I recognize that true engineer-heads will appreciate the guts and price/performance ratio much more than the face, and that seems to be the target audience of the Outlaws.

I know that many of my friends also will not consider Outlaw strictly because they look undeniably low-end.

Maybe if Outlaw offered a "good looking" version for an extra $150, they'd have a lot more success and open up their products to another demographic of consumer. We're talking the following changes:

- Since you obviously can't modify the actual logo at this point, make the logo black. Or, more expensively, drill it into the faceplate.

- bolt on a brushed-aluminum looking faceplate (black or silver) and cut simple window out for the display you're already using

- keep all buttons black. Simple.

Three easy changes, and Outlaw would find a new pool of consumers willing to consider their products. Outlaws don't have to have the 'chic-cheap' look. Outlaws can look good, too.

·
Registered
983 Posts
"those machined pretty looking face plates cost $$$ "

Maybe $30 for them. I'd pay an extra $60 for a fancy faceplate in Brushed aluminum, silver color.

I personally have B&K stuff and in Silver it really does stand out.

Sure you can have great electronics in hideous chassis for less money but psychologically a better looking component sounds better and sells more as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Please, everyone who hates the looks, go to Outlaw's own forum and tell them directly. www.outlawaudio.com

There's a currently a thread there on this subject (under 'new products').

Maybe if we can get that thread to blow up with lots of people with the same negative opinion to a product we all seem to otherwise greatly approve of, they may actually make the logo/green button change on their 'next wave' of products!?

They could save face by calling the change part of introducing the 'new' 2002 product line maybe??

P.S. -I got it! Paul's a 'secret Outlaw'!! Quick, where's my torch and pitchfork!?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I can't believe some of the comments here we all want lower priced Hi End gear those great looking product that cost as much as your car don't always have an edge on sound but everything they do is passed on to you. The guy who designs those face plates has to be paid and designers don't come cheap I have first hand knowledge then the guy who makes them, second of all most of us have been brain washed to believe if it cost more it has to be better, and Hi End companies bet on that thinking, When you factor in the Dealer who wants a 50% cut, advertising, cost to write the instuction manual, R&D and what ever else is added in the actual value of the piece is not that much that is why it takes a dive on the resale market Faroudja is a prime example of that, look at the price of there products compared to the new lower priced scalers now availible that can do 95% of what a Faroudja can. Yes looking good is a good thing too, but bottom line is if it performs well you will soon forget the looks most of us want our friend and family to see an impressive looking product on our selves for bragging rights I would rather have the feature set with good sound and money in my pocket to boot! ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HOLD ON!!!

People seem to be saying you HAVE to trade cheap functionality for looks. That is so wrong. As I said, that exact button in blue would cost the exact same as a green one. And the logo could be ANYTHING and cost the same (less if it took less "ink" to print).

YES low price functionality is what Outlaw is all about, we all agree that's the FIRST and most important thing, but that does NOT mean you have to sacrifice all looks. Maybe no brushed aluminum face plate, fine. But a green button? A rodeo rider? I am from Texas and love going to the Houston Live stock Show and Rodeo, but not my gear!:D

Even those who are debating this, you have all agreed, the looks are sub par. You all say the features come first. We all agree on that. But since you all seem to think looks should just be "accepted" as part of a cheap package, your just supporting the exact view of a high end dealer but from the opposite side of the spectrum.

Dealers idea:

"If it looks good it going to cost you"

Your saying:

"If its cheap then its ok for it to look cheap"

Same view just different way of saying it.

What I am wanting to be able to say:

"It is cheap but sure does not look it"

That statement immediately makes me think of the Diva's.

:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
How many of you complaining of the looks own a 1050? I do, and I think it looks fine. It ain't sexy, but it does look better than its pictures on the web. The 1050 is a shade of gray that is barely different from black and the green power button is not out of place. I fully expect the 950 to be similarly decent/sufficient looking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.